We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
22 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
hiking

From Knoxville, where would be the closest place to hike in the Smoky Mtn park just for a half-day trip? I would be staying one night in Knoxville. So I just want a scenic place to hike, convenient to get to from Knoxville, then return to Knoxville.

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
969 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking

Any of the hikes near the Gatlinburg or Townsend entrance to GSMNP would be the most convenient. If you are coming at a busy time, Townsend would have less traffic. http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/ Middle Prong or Little River are two recommendations. Plenty of others if you want more challenge.

Edited: 8:08 am, July 03, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Townsend
Townsend
Tennessee
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
22 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking

thank you! how long a drive is it to Middle Prong?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
22 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking

I'm looking at the website you linked to. I want to go to ALL of them! Maybe you can help me decide. Here are the factors in choice of trail:

convenient from Knoxville,

moderate to strenuous hiking,

good scenery,

no more than 8 miles or so

Thanks so much.

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Townsend, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Townsend, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
969 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking

Rich Mountain Loop and Middle Prong fit the criteria for convenience and length/challenge. Rich Mountain offers some nice views back into Cades Cove and is a loop. It also passes by the John Oliver cabin in Cades Cove. The last leg of Rich Mountain is fairly steep returning to the trailhead. if you have hiking poles, bring them, your knees will thank you. Middle Prong would be an out and back. Nice water falls along middle prong, but not the big panorama views if that is what you are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Cades Cove
Cades Cove
4,317 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
The Oliver Hotel
The Oliver Hotel
510 Reviews
Knoxville, TN
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
22 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking

Thank you!!

6. Re: hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 05, 2014