We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car in knoxville?

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Topic
rental car in knoxville?

hi all,

planning a trip and am wondering whether it's necessary to rent a car to see knoxville, or whether i'm better off taking a cab to-and-from the airport and then just walking around.... i actually only have one full day there.

thanks!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
49 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car in knoxville?

I would suggest getting a car if you want to go to downtown Knoxville. The airport is 20 to 30 miles away from Knoxville. If you are planning to stay near the airport (Alcoa TN) then I would take a cab.

One think you can do is get a car drive to the smoky mountains. The airport is not far from Townsend which is the back way into the national park. (30-40 miles)

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car in knoxville?

Thanks so much! This is very helpful. Any additional suggestions on must-dos or must-sees while in the Knoxville area?

Tennessee
Level Contributor
49 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car in knoxville?

When will you be in the area?

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car in knoxville?

Then end of September :)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
49 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car in knoxville?

One thing you could do is drive around the Smokey mtn if you get into the area early. The weather should be nice and a lot of great places to take pictures. You can take 321 to Townsend then 73 to the Smokey. If you were looking to stay in the Knoxville area you can go to worlds Fair Park. www.WorldsFairPark.com and eat or shop in market square http://knoxvillemarketsquare.com

San Francisco...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rental car in knoxville?

Thank you!! This all sounds great

7. Re: rental car in knoxville?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 10, 2012