We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knoxville or near Greeneville? 1st time

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Knoxville or near Greeneville? 1st time

Never been in/near Knoxville before. We (2 - 56 year old ladies) will be going there mainly to stop by at the Andrew Johnson's grave site (scrapbooking) in Greeneville, TN. Question - is it worth staying in Knoxville a few days (driving to Greeneville and back)? I'm not sure what is there to do. Or should be go someplace else (we'll be heading toward home - Chicago) near Greeneville that is worth stopping by for a few days. We're in no hurry getting home so time is not a factor.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knoxville or near Greeneville? 1st time

Personally, there isn't anything in Knoxville that would warrant even a driveby and especially not for several days. Nashville and Chattanooga can be fairly interesting.

The closest thing to Knoxville that might be interesting are the Smoky Mountains. You would probably travel via I-40 to Pigeon Forge (shopping outlet mecca) and Gatlinburg. Maybe you would enjoy that more than Knoxville. Sorry for the bad news.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Knoxville or near Greeneville? 1st time

Thank you for the info - I didn't think there were anything exciting to do IN Knoxville lol...

We will be stopping by, one way or another, in Greeneville to take pictures of the President Andrew Johnson's grave site. Do you have any suggestion between East Knoxville and Greeneville that is worth while staying over night? Thanks for your help :-) Deb

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knoxville or near Greeneville? 1st time

Hi! Sounds like a neat stop. I'm not a scrapbooker myself but have enjoyed looking through them the few times I've laid hands on one.

It would be helpful if you clarified exactly what advice you're looking for. Are you looking for an interesting destination to stop by in for a few days before stopping in Greeneville and heading home? From what city/direction are you coming in from? Three destinations that come in mind for me that could be along a route going through Greeneville to Chicago are Asheville, Chattanooga, and the Great Smoky Mountains.

I hear Asheville is worth a couple days to see the Biltmore, artsy downtown, and the few nature-based attractions reasonably close to it. By far the main attraction in Asheville is the Biltmore. Chattanooga is worth a longer visit to see the main things like Lookout Mountain and the riverfront. With four days you'd see the main things but still leave plenty for another trip later on. The Great Smoky Mountains is a big national park; you could spend a week there just to see the highlights. If you chose just one area to explore you could spend two or three days.

If you let me know where you're coming from and about how much time you'd like to spend checking out neat stuff in the area I could craft an itinerary for you, if you like.

Kristian

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Knoxville or near Greeneville? 1st time

thanks for your reply back - very helpful :-) We will be coming in from Nashville. We were thinking of spending a relaxing 4 days stop over in Pigeon Forge at The Inn at Christmas Place. If and when the weather is nice (no rain) we can take a day drive to Greeneville and back and still go shopping lol. Do you have any suggestions on what to do other than Dollywood, National Park and Gatlingburg (we been there :-) We like stuff like that and taking a bus tour is our favorite too. Any other day trip that will be worth a drive?

Thanks Deb :-)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knoxville or near Greeneville? 1st time

It seems that you've already decided to stay in Pigeon Forge; if you're inquiring about activities in Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, or the Great Smoky Mountains, it would probably be best if you post topics in their respective forums to get information about them, or to do searches or browsing of previous topics as you are unlikely to get responses that have not been given before a number of times. I'm personally no fan of Pigeon Forge and can't really help you in relation to that, but if you want to do some extensive exploring in the national park (and surrounding areas) I can give plenty of help.

I might suggest trying Chattanooga for a day or two at the least as something new to see if you like it. It has loads to offer if you're interested in history or the outdoors, as well as a revitalized riverfront with large public spaces, some shopping, and high-rated attractions like the Tennessee Aquarium and Hunter Museum of American Art.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Knoxville or near Greeneville? 1st time

Thank you :-) I had thought about Chattanooga stop over but we needed to go to Greeneville and Chattanooga is not close by. I remembered going there as a teenager with my family and going to the Look Out Mountain. Yes we decided to go to Pigeon Forge mainly for relaxation and shopping. Possible going to Gatlingburg as a day trip. Thanks again for all your help. Deb

7. Re: Knoxville or near Greeneville? 1st time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 19, 2009