We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-40 Closure, May1

Which Knoxville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Linden, New Jersey
Level Contributor
298 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
I-40 Closure, May1

I will be driving west bound on my way to Jackson,TN on I-40 on the 27th. of May. Does anyone think that the detour onto 640 will be one big parking lot ? Or does the traffic flow through there fairly well ?

I don't want to get stuck for a long period of time just trying to go around the closure.

Any thoughts or opinions will be much appreciated ! Betty

new orleans, la
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: I-40 Closure, May1

I'm also wondering how things are lately....

I'm traveling thru Knoxville from Chattanooga onto Roanoke. I'll be leaving Chattanooga next Tuesday morning... so I'll be going thru Knoxville right during morning rush hour.

Is it worth it to get off I-40 at exit 380 to take Middlebrook Pike to get to 640 earlier than 275? On my AAA internet TripTik it shows construction starting on I40 between exits 383 & 385...this would avoid a little construction, but is it worth it?

Any help from Knoxville residents would be much appreciated! I'm traveling with my mother who panics at any traffic....even though she's not driving!!!!

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: I-40 Closure, May1

It has not been bad AT ALL. I have been very pleasantly surprised at how smoothly everyone has transitioned. Even the media is complementing the Dept. of Transportation!

I wouldn't make any alternate plans. Morning rush hour is not as bad as the evening, and nothing's as bad as Friday evenings. Even then, it's rarely ever gridlock. Traffic's heavy, but it flows.

23. Re: I-40 Closure, May1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, September 26, 2009