We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best lake to cruise???

Which Johnson City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
149 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Best lake to cruise???

Heading that way to TriCity area and wondering which lake is prettiest and full!? Holsten, Boone or Watauga? We want to rent a boat and cant decide, we heard the lakes are down, but not sure which would be the better to cruise around for a day! appreciata any quick response!

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best lake to cruise???

We normally go to Boone out of convenience as we live minutes from it. Boone has better Marina's (bars/restaurants) in my opinion. That being said, everything else is better at Watuaga. The water is cleaner and the level is higher. Boone is really low this year. I guess it just depends on what is more important to you.

Butler, TN
Level Contributor
49 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best lake to cruise???

I'm late, but just found this forum. Watauga is the least crowded - especially during the week and before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. There is no one on the lake and those are beautiful times to cruise!

The Lake is up - my dock is almost in the water! And in a couple more weeks, I'm sure it will be fully in the water. But the fish are spawning and jumping so the fishermen are happy.

You can rent a boat from Fish Springs Marina and go from one end of the lake to the other - under the Butler Bridge to the "quiet end". The lake is 10 miles long with 110 miles of shoreline and since 80% is National Forest, it's heavenly!

3. Re: Best lake to cruise???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 pm, October 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Johnson City
More Johnson City Topics