We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible relocation to Franklin, TN from Nevada

Which Franklin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Possible relocation to Franklin, TN from Nevada

Can anyone give us some insight to living in the Franklin area?

Climate-year round-level of humidy?

Climate hazards - tornado's, storms etc?

Cost of living?

Have $350K for a house-what's the area we need to look at?

Employment-what does an Exec Secretary earn approx?

Healthcare standards?

Recreation?

Thanks for your help!!!!

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible relocation to Franklin, TN from Nevada

I currently live in Franklin and have so for approx. 10 years. Williamson County is the fastest growing county in the state, has arguably the best public schools in the state.

Climate: 30's - 40's in the winter, 90's in the summer, with a usually a couple of days > 100. Humidity can be torrid. Thats just a byproduct of being in the south. You will get that anywhere around here.

Hazards: Usually our share of summer afternoon pop-up storms due to the heat, every once in awhile can be severe. As for tornados, yes, we do have them. It is hit & miss. In 1999, a severe tornado went through downtown Nashville. Ever since then, the local TV stations go into overdrive when it comes to weather coverage. Williamson Co. invested in tornado warning sirens a couple of years ago and are stragegically placed throughout the county. We can hear them from our house when they go off.

Cost of living: Not knowing what it is like in Reno, don't know if it is better or worse. I know people who have moved from Chicago and the Northeast it is a lot less here. Current cost of gas is 2.65/gal. Sales tax is 8.25% for food, 9.25% for everything else. Tennessee does not have a state income tax. Starting this year, TN will be offering a school supply tax free weekend.

Housing: Being a fast growing county and lots of people moving in, housing can be pricey. For about $350K, you can expect about a 3000-4000 sq. ft. house on .25 - .5 acre. Our house is 3900 sq ft, annual property tax is approx. $2500. Depending on where your job is, the east side of Franklin has the interstate access. East of I-65 is the growing area.

As for employment, can't help you on that one. Perhaps anothe poster can contribute to that.

Healthcare: Nashville is the Healthcare Mecca. Home offices to HCA and many other healthcare corporate offices. Williamson Co has 1 hospital and every type of healthcare practice you could imagine.

Recreation: Have a couple of YMCA's, Rec Center, Softball/Baseball, Tennis courts, many parks, annual rodeo, etc.

Except for college, I have lived in Williamson Co for almost 20 years. I cannot imagine raising a family or living anywhere else.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible relocation to Franklin, TN from Nevada

Thank you VolRichard - you're input is greatly apreciated. Seems cost of living is very comparable to Reno, Nevada where we're currently dumping $3.30 on a gallon of gas, $3.60 for premium, with no end in sight. Housing prices are also very comparable - $350K would buy you an ordinarly tract home, 1800 sq ft, on .21 acres. Lots of retirees from California flocking here, hence the overpriced home prices and California-style high density housing developments.

Lots to think about....................

Thanks again!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible relocation to Franklin, TN from Nevada

My daughter and son-in-law plus children moved to Thompson Station just south of Franklin 12 years ago from Garden Grove, CA. They have been deeply grateful about that decision and I can easily understand why. Every time I visit them I find I want to move to the area myself and would do so in a heartbeat if most of my children were not living closeby to me in Illinois.

The Franklin area is steeped in history while, at the same time, it is flourishing with new development. Just 10 minutes South (where my daughter lives) we can sit on the porch and look out over beautiful green pastureland where horses are grazing to the hills / mountains in the distance. Absolutely gorgeous!

They have been extremely pleased with the school system and the availability of activities for their children. There are a number of parks / recreation lands nearby and the Smokey Mountains are a short drive away. As for healthcare, they have been very pleased with doctors and hospitals in the immediate area. If something unusual occurs, a half hour drive takes you to Nashville and the Vanderbilt Hospitals and Clinics for world-class services. The Nashville airport is a joy (compared to O'Hare in Chicago) and provides convenient departures to most major U.S. cities and connections to international destinations.

The first several summers they had a bit of adjusting to do regarding the July humidity, but now just accept that as a minor challenge and well worth the trade-off for living in such a wonderful area. As for employment, with all the development that is occuring, I would expect that an experienced executive secretary should be able to find a number of opportunities...if not in Franklin, then certainly in Nashville or, perhaps, in Spring Hill where the automobile industry is thriving.

Final comment...I can hardly believe how low their property taxes are. I'm happy for them, but it makes me ill to think how high mine are in comparison! I don't know what life is like in Reno, but it's difficult to imagine that it could be a whole lot better than what you would find in the Franklin area.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible relocation to Franklin, TN from Nevada

I love Franklin. Had to move away to Salt Lake City for Air Force. Moving back next summer. Can't wait!

5. Re: Possible relocation to Franklin, TN from Nevada

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

We're sorry - the TripAdvisor staff closed this topic because TripAdvisor does not facilitate discussions about relocation or real estate purchases because these topics are not considered to be travel-related.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, October 27, 2006