We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good places to eat during the 400 mile yard sale trek

Which Crossville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
louisiana
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Good places to eat during the 400 mile yard sale trek

I would appreciate any ideas of good food to eat along the way.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good places to eat during the 400 mile yard sale trek

We are going to do this for the first time too, so I'm interested in places to eat also.

Jamestown, Tennessee
Level Contributor
78 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good places to eat during the 400 mile yard sale trek

That's an awfully long stretch to advise upon without anything more specific... Since I see this in the Crossville forum, I would be tempted to say you may be pleased with either Vegas Steakhouse right on 127 in the heart of Crossville, or take I-40 east to the next exit, 320, for Halcyon Days at the Stonehaus Winery.

About 40 miles north of there, with nothing in between, is Jamestown, TN. Which is actually the home of the 127 Sale... There isn't anything fancy here, but if your tummy is rumbling and you can't wait until Crossville... (during the sale, that 40 miles will take 2-3 hours) You will find a nice Mexican place, a decent and inexpensive Chinese restaurant and buffet, and an Italian place called Dino's. There is also a country style buffet that just opened next to Dino's... But, I haven't been there yet. If you see the Sea Boat steak house on the 127 business route through town, don't do it. A $5 steak sounds tempting, but don't forget a $5 steak is exactly what you are paying for... And personally, I'd rather eat cardboard.

If you like barbecue... The Hanging Hog, about 1 mile south of Jamestown and just a hair off of 127 (you can see it from 127) is worth a quick stop. Again, nothing fancy, and mostly pulled pork sandwiches and sweet tea, but it is making me hungry right now... So, why not....

Just north of Jamestown by about 12 miles, don't forget to take a second to squeeze in a visit to the Alvin C. York homestead. You can take a free tour of his house, his mill, and the park along the Wolf River. There is a deli there as well that sells sandwiches and snacks...

If you wanted to get off of the beaten path by about 17 miles, if you take 52 East towards Historic Rugby, they have an amazing little cafe called the Harrow Road Cafe. This is a historic English colony, so the food has that British flair... Shepherd's Pie, Fish and Chips, Welsh Rarebit, and such... And they also have soups, salads, and hot or cold sandwiches, and burgers. And best of all, the meals are between $4 and $6 each... But, you'll have to turn around and come back once you are done; for another 17 mile venture back to the beaten path... (While you are in Rugby, you can also take a tour through a 19th century home, church, school house, and library for about $6-$7 a person. Well worth it if you like that kind of thing....)

If you were coming into Clarkrange (between Jamestown and Crossville) and were interested in a 10 mile off-the-beaten-path to the west (hwy 62 for a few miles, and follow the signs); you may want to give the Muddy Pond Mennonite Community a shot. Their general store has a deli that makes the best homemade sandwiches ever... For less than $3 each... Further up the stretch by another mile or so, is another full service Mennonite restaurant that is nice and they also serve homemade ice cream... And check out the sales floors in each...

I don't really recall much directly South of Crossville either... Hwy 127 is NOT a very developed area. Crossville is about the only place along most of that route in Tennessee where you will even find your basic selection of fast food and chain restaurant joints. Jamestown has a few, but not many.

On the Kentucky side of things, you will likely only find a few small diner places... They are inexpensive, but most do not take credit cards and there is no such thing as a non-smoking section between Southern Kentucky and Northern Tennessee....

And, if nothing else piques your tummy, you'll always find the vendors along the way.... I'm pretty sure "swamp cabbage" is barbecue... But, I haven't been brave enough yet to verify this....

Good luck and have fun... The traffic is a mess, but it is quite an experience... Just be careful out there. Make sure you have read the 127 Sale web site because they offer suggestions for keeping the road ways safe. People WILL do bizarre things on the roadways, so be aware of what to expect...

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good places to eat during the 400 mile yard sale trek

Definitely eat at the Hanging Hog. Excellent food at insanely cheap prices.

And drive up 27 toward the KY state line and hit that general store that sells fugde and ice cream and fried balogna sandwiches. Sit a spell and watch the half dozen old local gents playing pig.

There used to be a great German restaurant in Jamestown. Beggars Castle. this was years ago. they closed, couldn't sell the property, a rare bat moved in and now it's a sanctuary...no joke.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good places to eat during the 400 mile yard sale trek

I forgot, a new restaurant opened just a couple weeks ago on 27 above Jamestown. Steaks and bar food type stuff. Owner of the Jordan Motel gave it and the Hanging Hog the thumbs up over any of the fast food chains in Jamestown.

ps...if you have to stay at the Jordan Motel, check your bed out good before you decide to stay. it's clean, no bugs, but hard as a rock.

Key Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
345 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good places to eat during the 400 mile yard sale trek

I live in Crossville, so it is interesting to hear what others have said.

I totally agree with the Hanging Hog. Very good.

Coming south from Jamestown, on the left, maybe 5 miles, give or take, is a new little "Coffee Time Cafe". I have only had a snack there, but the breakfasts looked GREAT, and they are also opened for lunch. I will definately try it the next time I am up that way. Further south, just as you come into Clarkrange also on the left, is an old General Store, not sure of the exact name, but they have good sandwhiches, and ice cream. Fun stop. There is a pizza place just across the street which I have heard good things about.

As for Crossville: Vegas and Halcyon are the two most expensive places in town, and I have eaten at each, but only once each. I think they are WAY too expensive for what you get. We do have the usual fast food: Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesdays, Arby's etc., which really are some of the best choices here. But, if you turn left at Arby's, Interstate DR., about a mile east of 127, in a small strip mall, there is the Genesis Grill, which is an Italian restaurant, which is good.

In town, turn east on Webb St. and there is Family Ties, for breakfast and lunch - good plate lunches.

South of town, there is the Cumberland State Park, and the lodge has great dinners, and I suppose they are open for lunch.

For the next 30 miles or so there is nothing until you reach Pikeville, where if you turn into town, there is the Poke and Catch (or something like that) which is good barbecue and catfish.

Hope this helps, have fun.

Jamestown, Tennessee
Level Contributor
78 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good places to eat during the 400 mile yard sale trek

The new place in Jamestown on 127 is the Jamestown Sports Grill. Most people so far seem to think very highly of it, but I have not been myself. I'll post an update if and when I do.

It seats 430 people, so it is a big place.

Hanging Hog is good, but you have to tell them you want barbecue sauce. We picked up an order to go a few weeks ago and got home to dry barbecue. Kind of odd... I thought barbecue places were supposed to be all about the sauce...

I still enjoy the Chinese Buffet in town in the old WalMart center. Lunch will run you about $6 or so. Not a bad deal... The don't have the largest seclection, but the food is consistently good quality and very dependable.

7. Re: Good places to eat during the 400 mile yard sale trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 04, 2009