We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels - Downtown or Hamilton Place area?

Which Chattanooga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
10 posts
Save Topic
Hotels - Downtown or Hamilton Place area?

Looking at hotels (will likely try priceline - I've had good success in the past with bidding rock bottom prices for 3 star hotels) - just wondering pro/cons to the downtown area hotels vs. hamilton place?

We're travelling through to Florida, but staying for a few nights. I'm leaning towards hamilton place - my husband works for Volkswagen up here in Michigan, and will be doing a plant tour - but we'd also like to visit Lookout Mountain, potentially aquarium, Coolidge park. One review of the hamilton place area hotels said it wasn't a nice area - true? not true?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels - Downtown or Hamilton Place area?

I think I would stay downtown. There are some fun places to visit and it's convenient if you plan to sightsee.

Hilton Garden Inn @ 311 Chestnut Street, Chattanooga, TN 423 - 308 - 9000.

…hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml…

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels - Downtown or Hamilton Place area?

If you stay in the Hamilton Place area, you are closer to I 75 and VW. You would need to drive downtown and park for the day. There is a free shuttle that takes you around and some that will cross over to the Northside and to Coolidge Park.

The Hamilton Place area is very commercial, many many hotels, Hamilton Place Mall and a multitude of restaurant choices. Depending on traffic, it should be about a 15 minute drive into town.

The other sites of interest are closer to the downtown area. There is alot of activity downtown, restaurants, people walking the riverwalk, Bluff View Art District. Tennessee Aquarium, wide choice of restaurants.

My opinion, if you want to experience Chattanooga and all it offers, stay downtown. If it does not matter, then the Hamilton Place are, that could be anywhere.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels - Downtown or Hamilton Place area?

Hamilton Place is "nice" in the bourgeois sense. It's not dilapidated like, say, Hixson. But it's not Chattanooga. Chattanooga is Downtown, and that's where I suggest staying if it works for you. Volkswagon's not too far away.

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels - Downtown or Hamilton Place area?

Hamilton Place is like every other overdeveloped mall area. Some people like that. But it is nice. It is safe.

There are some hotels that claim to be downtown that are not. Lookout Mountain and South Broad Street are not downtown. Be sure you stay within the central business district/Aquarium areas. Ride the free MARTA shuttle. See Seven States from Rock City. Visit the Chattanooga Market on Sunday. Visit the Bluff View Arts District.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels - Downtown or Hamilton Place area?

Actually the crime rates calculated based on daily population in East Brainerd are about the same as those downtown, so if Hamilton Place is considered "safe," so is downtown.

10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels - Downtown or Hamilton Place area?

Thanks so much! I let priceline decide for me on which 3 star hotel....and we will be spending our nights at the Hilton Grden Place Inn downtown! We got it for 65 a night!! Wish there was not a parking charge...but very excited! Thank you again!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels - Downtown or Hamilton Place area?

Paid parking is usually standard fare for a city center hotel. Hilton Garden has a great location on the Riverfront, and that's a great price for it.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,293 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels - Downtown or Hamilton Place area?

You have done very well. Good for you!!!!!

9. Re: Hotels - Downtown or Hamilton Place area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 28, 2013