We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Chattanooga hiking

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Solo Chattanooga hiking

I'm planning on visiting in the middle of October. I was planning to run the trails in and around the area but due to some leg injuries I'll be walking only.

My plan is to stay downtown, get up early every day and walk some trails, then maybe hit the art and aquarium museums at some point. Low key stuff

I'm not a hiker by any means, but really want to check out the trails on Lookout Mtn etc. Just wondering if I need to invest in any special gear, or are these trails well worn trails and just have a good pair of hiking/walking shoes?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Chattanooga hiking

The trails around the point and the west side of Lookout Mtn are well worn and easy to follow. Some around the east side... not so much, or at least not that well maintained. But for the most part the good stuff is on the west side. Hiking or running shoes should be fine.

Were you originally looking at the Stump Jump trail run on Oct 6? There are lots of multi-use trails around here - hiking, trail running, mountain biking - farther out on Lookout Mtn, on Raccoon Mtn, and from Signal Mtn over to Prentice Cooper State Forest.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Chattanooga hiking

I was thinking about that race, but it's a no go now. But those same trails would be good to hike then?

I guess I may take a backpack with snacks and water I suppose, but didn't really want/think I would need more than that?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Chattanooga hiking

The trails that the Stump Jump uses are more remote, maybe not as easy to find access points for an out-of-towner. But they are hiking trails that my hiking group uses multiple times a year. Are you going to be here during River Rocks, Oct 5-14? As part of that festival there should be a local hike every day led by folks very familiar with the trails.

You'd obviously need food and water for however long you plan to be out.

Edited: 4:49 pm, July 02, 2012
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Chattanooga hiking

I was hoping to go the week of the 14th, maybe catch the leaves changing color.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Chattanooga hiking

Sounds like a plan. It'll be cool enough that the morning hike won't wear you out. Actually, you could visit the attractions in the morning while they're empty and go hiking in the afternoon when it's warmer. The trails on Lookout Mountain are pleasant. I love Lookout. There are fun short hikes there, too, like Glen Falls and the trails in the arboretum. For you I say the arboretum is a must see. Very beautiful and relaxing place. I think the hike from there along the east bank of Lookout Creek to Skyuka Springs is one you'd like.

If you visit the first or last Saturday of the month, Lula Lake and falls is a must see. There's also a Chestnut grove and views from the bluff there. Either way you should visit Cloudland Canyon, too, to see the waterfalls.

The hike to Edwards Point on the Cumberland Trail through Middle Creek valley in the Tennessee River Gorge from Signal Point (a national park parcel site) is a must.

You never know about the quality or timing of the leafing these days.

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
343 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Chattanooga hiking

The trails on Lookout Mountain are used often and you will see others on the weekends in October. All of the trails are well maintained and marked by the national park service. Here is a trail map provided by the NPS.

nps.gov/chch/…lookoutmtn.pdf

Please also look at Prentice Cooper State Park and the Lula Lake Land Trust for other hiking opportunities. Mullins Cove Loop is specatular.

www.everytrail.com/guide/mullins-cove-loop

Regardless of anything you read or hear, you should always take water and snacks on a hike/trail run. It is possible you could be injured or lost on any trail.

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Chattanooga hiking

So, this might be dumb and/or repetative but you guys think it's safe to do this alone? Some friends think I shouldn't try to do this alone.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
864 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Chattanooga hiking

If you come the week before that, actually Oct 5-14, River Rocks will be offering a local hike every day.

Other than that, all I can say is that there are some trails on the west side of Lookout that usually have a fair amount of traffic - Kidde, Gum Springs, Bluff Trail between Point Park and Sunset Rock, Upper Truck and Rifle Pits from Cravens House. You won't likely be all alone on those. Here's a website with a map:

http://www.hikelookout.org/lookout.php

The hiking/biking trails on Raccoon Mtn would also likely have some traffic. Another website with a map:

www.outdoorchattanooga.com/RM_brochure.pdf

You'd be much more likely to be all by yourself in Prentice Cooper, and as I said above, that area would present much more of a challenge as far as finding your way around is concerned.

Solo hiking has its risks and rewards; it just depends on how confidant you feel getting out there into unfamiliar territory on your own.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Chattanooga hiking

People don't advise backpacking alone. Hiking alone, if you're prepared and bring food and water, is generally fine. Especially if you're on oft-frequented trails like the ones on Lookout. It's just a matter of how far out there you're going I guess.

10. Re: Solo Chattanooga hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 21, 2013