We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Put my plans in order...

kentucky
Level Contributor
472 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Put my plans in order...

We (2 Adults and 2 girls 7&10) are coming to Chattanooga for approx 2 and a half days the first week of April. Below is what we plan to do. Please help me get it in a reasonable order to save time and driving. I do not yet know where we are staying.

Thanks

Rock city, Incline, Ruby falls, point park, Shopping, aquarium, river front, duck boat. I know many of you hate some of these items, but this is the kids spring break and it is their choice. We do not like museums. We may add Raccoon Mt, if we have time, but we have been to Mammoth cave twice in the last yr.

Should we park at bottom of incline and shop/ eat down in St. Elmo?

Or should we park at top and see point park first?

Any suggestions on what days to do what are welcome.

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
638 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Put my plans in order...

Starting by grouping the activities and sights that you have noted.

First grouping will be the Incline, Point Park, Rock City and Ruby Falls. I suggest that you consider starting with a ride up the Incline, a short walk to Point Park and stopping at any interesting stops with a return to the bottom on the Incline. Then I would grab some lunch around the area before driving up the mountain road to Rock City and then to Ruby Falls. You should consider a stop at the Cravens House also. Back to the hotel and an evening of dining and shopping at Hamilton Place or downtown (depending upon where you are staying). This should be a good day's work for your family.

Next grouping would be the wonderful Tennessee Aquarium, the river front and the duck boat ride. Mix in dining and shopping and you have a second full day of activities in downtown Chattanooga. I would consider visiting Coolidge Park and walking the bridge and riding the classic merry-go-round for the girls. I would not be in the Park at dark or afterwards. If you enjoy historic train stations, then visit the Chattanooga Choo-Choo and simply walk around for about 30 minutes taking in the depo, station and gardens.

Downtown also has horse carriage rides on the weekends.

Point Park is my favorite place in Chattanooga. Try to go on a clear crisp day and the views are great. The history of the War between the States in Chattanooga is well worth looking into before your trip to Point Park. Chickamauga National Battlefield is also well worth a visit on your third day. It would take a couple of hours.

Welcome to East Tennessee and enjoy your stay.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,320 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Put my plans in order...

I think there are definite advantages to staying downtown. You can walk or use the free shuttle. Cross the Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge from the southside to the northside. Visit Coolidge Park. Shop along the northside and have a picnic lunch along the river. There is Good Dog, River Street Deli, Clumpies Ice Cream, donuts and a collection eclectic shops and additional good eats..

Visit Bluff View Arts District. www.bluffviewartdistrict.com

Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge www.chattanooga.gov/prac/30_1095.htm

CHATTANOOGA VISITORS CENTER:

1-800-322-3344 www.chattanoogafun.com

Downtown Electric Shuttle - CARTA

... Electric Shuttle is the easiest way to get around Downtown Chattanooga. ... Electric buses run daily* about every 5 minutes from the Chattanooga Choo Choo ..

www.carta-bus.org/routes/elec_shuttle.asp

kentucky
Level Contributor
472 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Put my plans in order...

Can you rec. a lunch place that has a kids menu / kids food near incline?

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
638 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Put my plans in order...

There are several fast food venues in the area, the best of which is Krystal for a flavor of Chattanooga- the home of Krystal. I also recommend that you check out the Moon Pie shop during your visit. Moon Pie is also a Chattanooga creation.

In the Incline area, I recommend Mt Vernon for a good meat and three meal and the Purple Daisy Picnic Cafe for a good lunch.

Edited: 5:09 pm, March 11, 2012
Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,320 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Put my plans in order...

There is also Blacksmith's. It gets both good and bad reports. I have not been there.

There are many in town, but that would take you a little longer.

I know time is short.

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
384 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Put my plans in order...

Walking distance from the Incline Railway in St. Elmo and kid friendly is Mojo Burrito, St. Elmo Dog House, and Mr. T's Pizza and Ice Cream. While in the St. Elmo neighborhood, the girls might like to try their skills at rock climbing at the indoor climbing facility, the Tennessee Bouldering Authority http://tbagym.com/

The Incline Railway has food vending and a gift shop on top of the mountain, as well. But your choices are better in St. Elmo.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,320 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Put my plans in order...

Mojo Burrito is excellent. A local company that uses all fresh ingredients. Several of choices and your children can get it their way.

8. Re: Put my plans in order...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, June 18, 2013