We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chatanooga

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
233 reviews
Save Topic
Chatanooga

I will be in the Chatanooga area for 3nights. I am taking the greyhound bus with a few friends from Nashville. We will be there for the start of February. I have never been before to tenesse, so would aprreciate a few guidlines of what the nightlife is like, good areas stop in etc.

thanks

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chatanooga

I suggest staying in the downtown Chattanooga area. It is the main tourist area. Many restaurants, bars, some music. There is a complimentary shuttle bus around the downtown area, if needed. When you cross one of the bridges from town, from the south side, there is an additional area called Northshore. There you will find additional restaurants and places to visit.

Downtown, there is a Hilton Garden, Marriott Residence Inn & Courtyard, Hampton Inn & Suites, Doubletree. A 7 minute easy walk, is the Bluff View Arts District. They have several kinds of accommodations. A beautiful area that overlooks the Tennessee River.

Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum www.tvrail.com

The largest operating railroad museum in the state.

Coolidge Park. This beautiful park features the antique carousel that has been restored and your child has a choice of 52 beautiful carved animals to ride. Docked on the Tennessee River at the park is the Delta Queen.

Along the river on the south shore is the Riverwalk, that follows the Tennessee with beautiful scenery and interesting sights along the way. Walk across the Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge from the South Shore to the North Shore. www.chattanooga.gov/prac/30_1095.htm

Tennessee Aquarium World's largest fresh water aquarium. Absolutely fabulous!!! www.tnaqua.org

Rock City Gardens Lookout Mountain. For the young and the old! www.seerockcity.com

Bluff View Art District www.bluffviewartdistrict.com

Chattanooga Parks and Recreation www.chattanooga.gov

Hamiltontn.gov/ParkReDefault.aspx

Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge www.chattanooga.gov/prac/30_1095.htm

CHATTANOOGA VISITORS CENTER:

1-800-322-3344 www.chattanoogafun.com

Downtown Electric Shuttle - CARTA

... Electric Shuttle is the easiest way to get around Downtown Chattanooga. ..

www.carta-bus.org/routes/elec_shuttle.asp

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chatanooga

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it. Will look into the hotels.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chatanooga

If you want to stay in the middle of all the sights and "action", you should stay downtown. There is a Marriott Courtyard and Residence Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Doubletree, Hampton Inn and Suites and Bluff View Inn, that is a 6 minute walk.

The bus station is out by the airport, so not in a prime location for touring.

Hope this helps.

Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chatanooga

booked the hotel yesterday with hotwire and ended up ebing put in the hotel chatanooga choo choo, looks ok and reasonable for a few nights. I did notice the bus station is way out of town, so I will get a taxi or a bus into the hotel.

Appreciate the hints for the area and look forward to visiting a new place.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chatanooga

Choo Choo needs to be refurbished. If your room is not satisfactory, ask for another. You can use the complimentary shuttle bus to commute.

That area has seen some growth in the past year or so. New restaurants, shops, etc. Take care walking around at night.

Have a great visit! Glad you are coming.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
268 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chatanooga

The night life is bad nowadays. We used to have a GREAT live music scene but now its all rap and dance club crap! SORRY!

Surrey
Level Contributor
20 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chatanooga

Hi NickSFCB

stayed at "choo choo" last week wouldn't recommend (see soon to be published review). Agree with queeni_travel re needing refurb, and that electric shuttle is very useful for getting down town. However, as downtown area seemed a good place to be day or night, I would cut out the hassle and just stay at one of the recommended downtown hotels.

Surrey
Level Contributor
20 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chatanooga

Hi NickSFCB

stayed at "choo choo" last week wouldn't recommend (see soon to be published review). Agree with queeni_travel re needing refurb, and that electric shuttle is very useful for getting down town. However, as downtown area seemed a good place to be day or night, I would cut out the hassle and just stay at one of the recommended downtown hotels.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chatanooga

If you book a new hotel, just be sure to stay away from the Holiday Inn Express Lookout Mtn. Best to stay downtown as you have been advised.

Edited: 6:54 pm, September 28, 2011
Lake Mary, Florida
Level Contributor
217 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chatanooga

I have already paid for the Choo Choo Chatanooga via hotwire. Hopefully the refurbs will be finished by next february.

I am not too fussed about the nightlife, as I am hoping to have a quiet few days to relax having had 2weeks in Chicago, Memphis and Nashville before heading to Atlanta, Chapel Hill (NC) and then onto Florida. The hotel I will require will be more just to sleep in at the nights and spent very little time (as logn as it is safe and no chance of stuff being stolen). Am lookign forward to the visit to Chatanooga, as it is a place i never thought i would travel to, but now i have the chacne to do si, I hope to utilise my time there and meet new and interesting people.