We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we do Delta Queen Hotel and dinner on Southern Belle?

Which Chattanooga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomington, IN
Level Contributor
47 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Should we do Delta Queen Hotel and dinner on Southern Belle?

I have read very mixed reviews about both the Delta Queen Hotel and the dinner cruises on the Southern Belle riverboat. We will only be in Chattanooga for one night, and I don't want it to be bad. Any candid reviews and advice will be much appreciated.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we do Delta Queen Hotel and dinner on Southern Belle?

With one night, what exactly are looking for? If I had more information about your interests, I would try to steer you in the right direction.

What time of year?

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
242 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we do Delta Queen Hotel and dinner on Southern Belle?

Do the Dinner on Southern belle. Its only for a bit and lets you have the rest of the day frre to explore around the river, lots to do around there. I would NOT stay in the Delta queen. Instead I would save my money and stay somwhere less expespenice adn explore teh coolidge park area and admire the delta queen from the park! With the money saved adn the fact the dinner on southern belle is at night I would use the saved money at to visit one of the stellar attractions around such as the hunter Musuem or the Aquariuum. P.S. I have always had a great time on the Southern Belle.

Edited: 6:48 pm, July 13, 2011
Bloomington, IN
Level Contributor
47 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we do Delta Queen Hotel and dinner on Southern Belle?

We are staying one night on our way to Savannah and will just be looking for dinner and a place to sleep before leaving the next mroning. I thought the two river ships would be fun and interesting since we are landlocked at home. I am worried now that I have read that the owners of the Delta Queen declared bankruptcy and recently sold the boat to the guy who owns Xanterra. Perhaps there is no current interest in making the Delta Queen Hotel a good experience; in the past, people have noted lack of AC and hot water at times. I have also read that the food on the Southern Belle is bad and that you are often crowded together with large groups and placed in the back of the seating area with people you do not know.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we do Delta Queen Hotel and dinner on Southern Belle?

The Delta Queen provides a nice experience. Yes, there can be many people and the food is good, not great.

I think if you want a better feel for Chattanooga, I would stay in one of the hotels in town, near the riverfront or the Bluff View Inn. There are many choices for dinner, you can walk along the riverfront, across the Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge and visit Coolidge, if you want.

The Bluff View Arts District is perched on top of a hill and quite beautiful. 6 minutes by foot is the downtown area that offers a Hilton Garden Inn, Marriott Courtyard & Residence Inn, Doubletree & others.

Coolidge Park. This beautiful park features the antique carousel that has been restored and your child has a choice of 52 beautiful carved animals to ride.

Along the river on the south shore is the Riverwalk, that follows the Tennessee with beautiful scenery and interesting sights along the way. Walk across the Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge from the South Shore to the North Shore. www.chattanooga.gov/prac/30_1095.htm

3) www.bluffviewartdistrict.com

4) Tennessee Aquarium World's largest fresh water aquarium. Absolutely fabulous!!! www.tnaqua.org

5) Rock City Gardens Lookout Mountain. For the young and the old! www.seerockcity.com

CHATTANOOGA VISITORS CENTER:

1-800-322-3344 www.chattanoogafun.com

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
242 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we do Delta Queen Hotel and dinner on Southern Belle?

Any ship traditionally at dinner youll sit with people you dont know. Thats the fun of it and NO the food is great on the Riverboat. Its a nice experience. NO the Delta Queen is not a good choice.

6. Re: Should we do Delta Queen Hotel and dinner on Southern Belle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, October 04, 2012