We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Memorial Day weekend recommendations

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Memorial Day weekend recommendations

Hello-

I'm flying in/out of Chattanooga over Memorial Day weekend and am looking for recommendations for scenic hikes/drives/waterfalls. I plan to raft the Ocoee one day, and need to head to the Robbinsville, NC area on another to check on some property. I don' t have lots of time, so am interested in maximizing what I do have. Would you have any suggestions on things I could do in and around the Chattanooga and Robbinsville areas and/or suggestions on lodging?

Thanks for your help!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,839 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Memorial Day weekend recommendations

There are several good hiking trails on both Signal and Lookout mountain. Another scenic suggestion would be to walk the Chattanooga Riverwalk along the river. This is a 7 1/2 mile walk each way that goes along the Tennessee River. Under the bridges, along beautiful scenery all the way to the Chickamauga Dam . You could walk up to the Bluff View Arts District, visit the cafes, gardens and enjoy a special spot with incredible scenery. Stop and visit Coolidge Park and take a peak at the antique Carousel, visit the varied shops on the North side, walk across the Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge, visit Rock City atop Lookout Mtn. and the Tennessee Aquarium.

Chattanooga is a beautiful city. Enjoy!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,772 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Memorial Day weekend recommendations

I was just at Cloudland Canyon state park yesterday and did about 2.5 hours of hiking there. Granted, the distances aren't long at this park, but you do get a good workout as many of the trails have lots of "stairs" for you to climb back up out of the canyon.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Memorial Day weekend recommendations

Robbinsville is the North Carolina terminus of the famous Cherohala Skyway built with $200 million of NC money to connect Tellico Plains and Robbinsville. The gorgeous drive runs along mountain tops at over five thousand feet. North River Road parallells the skyway. I haven't taken that road yet but hear its wonderful. On that road is Bald River Falls, which I've heard very good things about. At the North Carolina end of the Skyway, west of Lake Santeelah is Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest, the best old growth I've seen in the east. That's a must see. All of these sites are well off the beaten path.

The easiest way to do it would be to drive the skyway after you raft the Ocoee, since they're in the same direction from Chattanooga, but I don't think you'd have enough time after rafting to check the property, see Joyce Kilmer, drive the road, and see the falls, and drive back. Unless you were to stay in a cabin out there and make a multi day loop out of Chattie. That would save you a lot of driving.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Memorial Day weekend recommendations

Thanks for your replies! We want to spend a little time in Chattanooga, but also do some sightseeing. We have from 11 am Saturday to 4 pm Monday (arrive/return to airport) so probably have time to take in your various recommendations.

Are any of you familiar with Murphy, NC or Cleveland, TN? I'm wondering if it makes sense to find lodging in those areas. Part of me also wonders about heading as far away as Highlands, as I've not been there in more than 20 years. Does that seem too far out of the way to make sense?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,839 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Memorial Day weekend recommendations

Cleveland is 45 minutes from downtown and Murphy is about 2 hours. If you are going to visit Chattanooga, stay in downtown Chattanooga. You have a Marriott Courtyard, Residence Inn, Hilton Garden, Doubletree, Sheraton Read House, Bluff View Arts District and others.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Memorial Day weekend recommendations

Highlands would put you more in road trip territory, which is fine, but I don't think you have time to visit Chattanooga, the Ocoee, the Cherohala, and the Highlands area. That would add a whole other dimension to the trip. I think you would have to add a few days to do it justice.

Cleveland offers standard chain hotels, so its certainly an option. Murphy would make the most sense, though. Google says it has a Best Western, Hampton Inn, and Holiday Inn Express. And of course you can always rent a cabin.

Here's a possible itinerary:

Saturday: Explore Chattanooga.

Saturday: Drive the Cherohala Skyway, see maybe Bald River Falls/North River Road/Joyce Kilmer, check out the property in Robbinsville. Spend the night in Andrews or Murphy or anywhere else en route.

Sunday: Take a rafting trip in the morning (the Ocoee is along the road between Murphy and Cleveland), get back to the airport by four.

http://bit.ly/aJoPb8

Edited: 9:45 am, May 21, 2010
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Memorial Day weekend recommendations

Substitute this map for the other: http://bit.ly/dkFk6I

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Memorial Day weekend recommendations

Thanks for all of your comments, recommendations and map. This is very helpful. I'm looking forward to going!

9. Re: Looking for Memorial Day weekend recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 22, 2010