We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glen Falls (Lookout Mountain), Blue Blazes (Mocassin Bend)

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Glen Falls (Lookout Mountain), Blue Blazes (Mocassin Bend)

At almost the top of Ochs Highway (after the turnoff for Craven's House/Sanders Road, but before the split) I pulled off for the trailhead for Glen Falls. I've done a good bit of hiking on Lookout but Smokies_Hiker's forum post (below) last December was the first I heard of Glen. The trailhead had the standard bulletin board with rules and such, but no information or mention of the falls. There was only one other car at the pullout, and through the trip I ran into three pairs of hikers. (This is around four o'clock Monday afternoon.) The sun was behind the mountain (I'm on the eastern side here) but the going was pleasant. I like winter hiking on Lookout Mountain much more than over in the South Chick Gorge because there's a longer sweep of mountain to cast your eyes down and usually some dramatic boulders or bluffs above or below you to keep your eyes occupied with. The half mile trail is very well maintained but does have a good number of rocks (not many roots). Sooner than I expected I heard the falls. There's a rock dam around the base of the falls, holding back a small pond the falls drops into. The falls is in four or five parts, each about ten feet tall and worth the hike each in themselves. I'll post pictures later.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g54946-i290-k32586…

I took the car up the mountain and did a little touring through the residential area. I really want to move up there once I come back to Chattanooga. I do recommend visitors get lost in the winding roads up there on their way from Point Park to wherever else they're visiting up there. I managed to get to the Natural Rock Bridge, which wasn't much different than the last time I was up there a number of months ago. The park seems about halfway through construction (as it was those months ago). It's rather bare with all the trees and undergrowth taken out, but maybe when they finish all the park stuff it'll look better. At the moment, I which they'd left it alone.

It being so nice up there, I didn't really want to leave the mountain, but turned down Ochs anyway. Down the mountain and approaching the Interstate I didn't really feel like going home yet, so I continued straight for Mocassin Bend to try out the Blue Blazes Trail. There's a good little parking area for it. The trail itself was nice enough, though unforgivably muddy in several places, especially the last half mile or so. It's a loop trail, which is awesome, that leads through maybe four different forest types (thin flatland forest, riverside growth, legit scummy true Deep South style swamp, and a small pine forest with one really awesome huge scraggly tree). The last bit parallells the golf course, which is kind of lame. That course shouldn't be there, anyway. Nor should the mental hospital be there. We'll see how all that goes. I'm looking forward to when they build the interpretive center and turn it into a legitimate park, because even the Blue Blazes trail has zero information on what makes Mocassin Bend a really cool place. And I want to see the artillery works on the other side of the peninsula, which are supposed to be some of the largest of the Civil War that are still around.

Pictures later.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glen Falls (Lookout Mountain), Blue Blazes (Mocassin Bend)

Blue blazes was great when they made it but since has fell under disrepair. I will never go back! I emailed complaints and only got excuses. The last time we were there we had to climb over 6 tress, try to find the trail in tall grass adn slop in the mud!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glen Falls (Lookout Mountain), Blue Blazes (Mocassin Bend)

There weren't any downed trees or tall grass when I was there just recently, but there was plenty of mud. It was right after a big rain, though.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glen Falls (Lookout Mountain), Blue Blazes (Mocassin Bend)

Went to glen falls this past weekend. AWSOME be sure to go through the rock house adn up to the top of the stream TONS of great photo ops!

4. Re: Glen Falls (Lookout Mountain), Blue Blazes (Mocassin Bend)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 17, 2010