We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe place to stay near railroad / aquarium ?

Which Chattanooga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Safe place to stay near railroad / aquarium ?

We are thinking of taking our kids to see Thomas at the railroad place in April + visiting the aquarium/Imax. It's about a 4 hour drive for us so we wanted to stay the night.

I am looking for a nice hotel in a safe area. Indoor pool for the kids would be a plus.

Can any of you give me some suggestions ?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe place to stay near railroad / aquarium ?

Choose any hotel between the aquarium and Choo Choo and you're fine in terms of safety. For cheaper prices you can look at Lookout Valley/Cummings Highway. There's a Country Inn & Suites there as well as a new Fairfield Inn.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,194 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe place to stay near railroad / aquarium ?

There are 3 hotels with-in 1 block of the Aquarium and I-Max with breakfast, indoor swimming pools and great location. Marriott Courtyard, Marriott Residence and Hilton Garden Inn.

There are several children "eateries" also. Big River Grill and Brewery, Mellow Mushroom Pizza and etc and Toney's Trattoria at Bluff View. The Bluff View Arts district is lovely, with beautiful views. You can walk ( about 6 blocks, some UP, take the funicular part of the way up or drive).

I also suggest, taking the children to the north side of the river to Coolidge Park and letting them ride the antique Carousel. It has 52 hand carved animals to ride and is a real treat.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe place to stay near railroad / aquarium ?

BLue! I think they are meaning the railroad museum and NOT the choo

choo.

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe place to stay near railroad / aquarium ?

Oh thank you everyone ! You've been a big help to me :).

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
38,713 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe place to stay near railroad / aquarium ?

Yes, the Thomas the Tank engine will be at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum out off of Wilcox Blvd. There's absolutely no hotels I could recommend in that area, so your best bet is the ones downtown by the aquarium.

Be sure to ask for directions to the TVRM which will NOT take you through the bad sections of town; it's not exactly located in a great area.

Kingsport, Tennessee
Level Contributor
249 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe place to stay near railroad / aquarium ?

Thanks for that info.

Big cities scare me anyway...I'm a country girl :).

I think we are going to do the Aquarium, Imax, and kids museum. Then I think later on in June we will do Thomas at Tweetsie Railroad in NC.

Tweetsie is 1.45 hours away. Chattanooga is about 3.44 hours +.

Thanks !

chattanooga
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe place to stay near railroad / aquarium ?

Hi! Thomas is a fun day at the railroad museum. It is a way from downtown.

The ride w/Thomas is not very long. We rode Thomas and then rode the regular trainride and LOVED it. We go back often for the regular trainrides. Just beware, it will be very crowded.

Also, Hilton Garden Inn, Marriot Courtyard and Residence Inn have indoor swimming pools. Double tree is outside pool.

There are other hotels (Chattanoogan, Marriot, ChooChoo, Sheraton Read House) that are not really in walking distance of downtown. But some are near the free shuttle that runs daily. (Sometimes there can be some shady characters on the shuttle, because it's FREE)

Have fun! I would love to know how your trip goes!

Haha! I just realized I replied to another post on here from you! Oh well, this has some different info. You won't go wrong w/HGI.....

Edited: 8:54 am, March 27, 2010
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,194 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe place to stay near railroad / aquarium ?

If you pull up the Chattanoogafun.com website, there is a section called Spring Break Safari. Bring up the Spring programs. These are all special children's activities through April and some through summer, just for children at Chattanoog's main attractions. They are most unique for children. I know we are taking our grandson on the Southern Belle to be a Pilotmate Mate and the Tennessee Valley Railroad, to be a Conductor.

You should check this out, print off any discount coupons and print up the Spring Break Safari Filed Guide. Some "comps" come with that.

9. Re: Safe place to stay near railroad / aquarium ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, September 24, 2010