We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Lost Sea

Which Chattanooga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
130 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
The Lost Sea

Hi there,

We will have one night/day in Chatanooga and plan to see Ruby Falls, Rock City and take a trip on the incline railway. I have just come across 'The Lost Sea', and wondered what this is, where it is and if it is worth a visit - especially if it means a distance drive?

Also any advice about hotelss and locations to stay while in Chatanooga given our plans? I don't know if it would be best to stay downtown or to stay nearer the sights we are planning to see?

Any advice is appreciated.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Lost Sea

Personally I think The Lost Sea is far superior to Ruby Falls but it's close to an hour's drive northof Chattanooga. I've found the area around exit 174 of I-24 to be very convenient to all the attractions. It's a short drive up the mountain and to Rock City and other attractions and a quick trip via I-24 to the downtown area. I have stayed at the Marriot Springhill Suites at this exit and it is very nice. There are also several dining choices nearby including one of my favorites Cracker Barrel. The advantage to staying downtown is you can walk from your hotel (depending on which one you pick) to most of the downtown attractions. We also enjoyed the Towing and Recovery Museum in Chattanooga. Also be sure to visit TVA's Racoon Mountain Pump Storage Facility for some beautiful views and a great spot for a picnic.

Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Lost Sea

It is really hard to see what Chattanooga has to offer in just one day/night. I would have to agree that the Lost Sea is much more to see then Ruby Falls.

England
Level Contributor
130 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Lost Sea

Okay, considering your comments, how does this sound...

I'm thinking of staying at the sky bavarian inn, then we can visit lookout mountain and rock city. Not bother looking at ruby falls or the railway but spend a bit of time downtown, then head off to the lost sea.

Is that do-able?

It's really sad, but we have so little time there.

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Lost Sea

Pfeiffer,

I think I would think hard about staying at the Bavarian Inn. Yes, it has a great view but the property looks like it needs a considerable amount of upkeep/renovation when I drive buy it.

Also, I don't think there is anyway in one day you can see Rock City & Lookout Mtn. and still drive an hour and a half to the Lost Sea. It will make for a very long day. But if you decide to try it take I75 North out of Chattanooga and get off at the Sweetwater exit. Go right off the exit for appr. 10 miles. You will now be driving on Hwy 68. The Lost Sea will be on your left.

Good Luck.......

England
Level Contributor
130 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Lost Sea

Thanks cqshot, you've helped me to decide.

I'll book a hotel downtown and stay and do what we can in the time we have in Chattanooga.

One more thing please...

I've looked at the website and tried to understand exactly what the falls/rock city/incline might be like. But just to clarify, does the incline rail go up lookout mountain? Can we drive up instead, and park? Is rock city at the top of the mountain, and falls at the bottom?

Sorry to sound a bit dim, but I just can't picture it.

Blue Ridge, GA
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Lost Sea

Yes you can drive up the mountain. There are two roads up the Chattanooga side of LM. One goes directly to Rock City and the other goes directly past Ruby Falls. Once you are on top of the mountain you can drive from one attraction to the other. It is too far to walk. The homes on top of the mountain are a scenic attraction of their own. I reccommend staying downtown near the river. There is a Residence Inn, a Hilton Garden Inn and several other new hotels. This way you can walk on the river walk and visit the sights and other restaurants in the afternoon and early evening.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Lost Sea

The Incline Railway, I think is a little expensive for just riding up a mountain (for veiws, go to Point Park). Ruby Falls, is OK, but is NO match for the lost sea which is sooo much better. Unfortuatly, it's over a hour away from chatt. Rock City is very nice.

Im surprised to see that no one has mentioned the Aquarium! It's quite cool, and if you like animals at all, it's a must. To learn more about it go to their non-profit website, www.tnaqua.org. You can also throw in an Imax movie for $4.

Middle East, or TN...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Lost Sea

The Lost Sea is definetly an expieirence! It is the largest underground sea (that is public) in the world, and it actually has a lot of history. Although it is a drive from Chattanooga. I would advise to stay in Chatt. and check out what they have to offer, if you find Signal Mountain visit there, it is just a smalll town on top of a huge mountain and it very pretty.

I would say definetly check out Lost Sea but only on your way to or back from Chattanooga. If you are taking I-75 it is the Sweetwater exit and just a few short miles off the interstate, off of highway 68 You can not miss it, but the whole tour will only last you about 40 minutes, so with an hour you will be able to everything around!

I used to pass by there everyday in the way to work. so if you need anything else let me know!

England
Level Contributor
130 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Lost Sea

We'll be driving from Chattanooga to gattlingburg, and looking at the map it looks like we could make an easy diversion to the lost sea en route. I think that's what we'll be doing.

Thanks for your help folks.

Pfeiffer

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Lost Sea

You'll have a good time at the Lost Sea. Have a great trip!