We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can we do?

louisiana
Level Contributor
103 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
What can we do?

We are planning a trip to Tennessee in November. My mother-in-law wants to go, but has difficulty walking. She can go for a little while and then is very tired. What do you think we can do if we go?

Satsuma, Alabama
Level Contributor
188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can we do?

Wow, Tennessee is a big place, can you help us out as to what areas you might be going to? What kinds of thing interest ya'll? Do you have wheelchair? Anything you add will help us help you with suggestion.

louisiana
Level Contributor
103 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can we do?

Sorry about that. My plans are to go to Gatlinburg for a few days and then to Chattanooga for a couple of days.

She doesn't have a wheelchair but she does have a cane.

Level Contributor
350 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can we do?

It sounds as if your mother-in-law could really use a wheelchair to enjoy her trip. Gatlinburg would have alot of walking as does Chattanooga. You might want to check with a local medical equipment company in your town to check on renting or purchasing a wheelchair for your trip. I have worked at a medical equipment co and we would get calls for renting wheelchairs to visitors. You can check at the welcome center in Gatlinburg about renting a power scooter. November is a busy month and they may not have very many for rental.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can we do?

Chattanooga AND Gatlinburg are both walking cities. I cannot imagine visiting either with having trouble walking and enjoying myself.

Gatlinburg has limited parking and you pretty much HAVE to walk whever you go and once there, more walking. Chattanooga you have easier access from one place to another BUT once at most attractions there are lots of walking. Rock city, the aquarium, point park, ruby falls, and most other attractions are not good with people who have trouble walking.

louisiana
Level Contributor
103 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What can we do?

Thanks, that is what I thought. I really wanted us to visit there. I think everybody, esp. kids, should experience Rock City at least once in their life. So I guess we will try to find a time to go without my mother-in-law.

THanks for your help and advice, and we will get there one day!!!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
41,333 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can we do?

Let me add that, while Rock City may be a great destination for the kids, your mother in law is going to have real problems there. It is NOT wheel-chair accessible, not is it good for anyone who has walking problems.

Rock City is full of steps, stairs, climbing up and down and was never meant for anyone who's handicapped. Those areas where a wheelchair can go are only about 1/3 of the entire "Enchanted Trail" and you'll be missing out on a lot if you are limited to just those areas.

The Tennessee Aquarium, however, is very wheel-chair friendly, but you will definitely need one to see the entire two buildings of it. There's at least 2 or 3 hours worth of constant walking there.

As stated, Chattanooga and Gatlinburg are both walking towns and you'll have a hard time getting around if you can't accomodate.

7. Re: What can we do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, September 06, 2009