We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route to Bristol TN

Which Bristol hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best route to Bristol TN

Hello

Doesn't appear that this forum gets much traffic, but I was hoping somebody might see this and have a suggestion.

I am traveling from Louisville KY to Bristol TN area next week and was wondering if anybody had an opinion about the quickest route. Google maps says to get off of I75 at Corbin and take US25E down to Cumberland Gap, then take US58 all the way in to Bristol.

Looks like a great scenic drive, but I'm interested in getting there and back as quickly as possible. Is this the quickest route (or as quick as any other)?

Thanks for any advice.

2 replies to this topic
Fairmont, West...
Level Contributor
274 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route to Bristol TN

Mapquest shows the preferred route as taking I75 down to Knoxville and backtracking on I81, but although it is Interstate all the way, it looks to be 50 miles farther and 20 minutes longer than your route from Google maps. I have never used Google maps - I use either Mapquest or let OnStar figure it out. Just from a quick look - your route is probably shorter and quicker, but some people may prefer the illusion of faster travel via the Interstate. Best answer - both will get you there, depends on your comfort level. Safe travels whichever route you pick.

Bristol, Tennessee
Level Contributor
9 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best route to Bristol TN

I would recommend using I75 but take exit 29 in Corbin then take 25E all the way to Morristown then follow the signs to I81. 25E is 95% 4 lane now and there are not a lot of red lights on it. When they opened the tunnels in Middlesboro it took 15 minutes off the drive. I have gone all the way to Knoxville but it takes a lot longer. I live in Bristol and go to Lexington about 1 or 2 times a year. What ever you do don't take US58 that is one curvy road and it will take you a lot longer to get to Bristol.

One more thing to remember there is a red light camera in Morristown so watch for it. There are red light cameras all over Johnson City and Kingsport and a speed camera in Piney Flats or citgovernmentnt does not care if you speed or run a red light but you better pay that ticket in Tennessee you don't get points for a camera ticket.

Edited: 6:43 pm, December 25, 2011
Reply to: best route to Bristol TN
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bristol