We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you do Sturgis without a motorcycle?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Can you do Sturgis without a motorcycle?

My wife and I are live music lovers and are interested in attending some of the concerts in Sturgis this year. While there of course we want to check out the main street sights too. The issue is I don't own a motorcycle.

Can you attend Sturgis in a car (SUV to be exact)? Will we be the only ones without a bike? Do the bikers look at you weird if you are driving in the thick of things. How about if you drive in Glencoe or Buffalo Chip in a car, will that cause any issues? Any tips or advice for a non-biker would be greatly appreciated.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you do Sturgis without a motorcycle?

There are plenty of cars, pickup trucks, SUVs, campers going through Sturgis. You just can't drive or park on the "bike only" Main St. in Sturgis. Park on the side streets when downtown.

While you are walking around, no one will know you do not have a bike. And there are far more interesting things to look at than the line of various vehicles slowly creeping through town.

At the Buffalo Chip while they do allow motorcycles to be in the concert crowd there are whole areas devoted to vehicles. Same at Glencoe.

Remember that some of the bikers themselves didn't ride the distance to the Black Hills, some of them had their bikes trucked or flown in, some came in their own towing vehicle.

So, no issues with not having a bike.

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you do Sturgis without a motorcycle?

Absolutely. Lohrs explained the situation well. I've been every year and never owned a bike. Think of it this way, many locals frequent the events, there are tons of workers making the commute and there are the local residents just trying to live somewhat of a daily life. There are always plenty of 4 wheeled vehicles present. Also, as Lohrs said, there seems to be more bikes shipped or hauled in every year so even those bikers can't say too much if they see you in your SUV. Go, be safe, enjoy.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,423 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you do Sturgis without a motorcycle?

As noted no real issue not having a bike. I've been both with and without... going for a few days again this year... with a car, or maybe a SUV if I buy a new one soon. I'll be camping at Buffalo Chip for at least a couple of nights.

I believe Glencoe is all or nothing as far as the tickets go... in other words $260 (currently) for one night or all five (concert wise) and up to two weeks camping. So that may or may not work for you.

There are some restrictions on four wheeled vehicles and you may get a couple of looks if you're not a biker. Though most won't care. You know you could always buy one. ;)

PS: Yeah, I know I said I wasn't going to SD this year... thanks Ori.

Lead, South Dakota
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you do Sturgis without a motorcycle?

Hey Jeepman, I live in Sturgis and don't own a bike. It is not only doable but will be a blast. It will be a busy week for folks in this area, but I plan to see the Doobie Brothers at the Buffalo Chip. You can drive to the campground mid-afternoon, park park your vehicle, set up a small tent and go see the concerts.

5. Re: Can you do Sturgis without a motorcycle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 30, 2010