We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic in Surgis

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
954 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic in Surgis

We are doing some preliminary planning on a road trip this summer. As part of the trip,We will be driving from Minneapolis to Mt. Rushmore and it just happens to b during the Sturgis Rally 2010 (someone informed us of that), what is traffic going to be like and will I have trouble getting accommodations close to Mt. Rushmore.

Mentioned in this post
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
The Rushmore Hotel & Suites
The Rushmore Hotel...
912 Reviews
Rapid City, SD
Sturgis
Sturgis
South Dakota
Lead, South Dakota
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic in Surgis

Hello gapper, I live in Sturgis, and I have to warn you, the Sturgis Rally is not a very good time to see MT, Rushmore. Traffic throughout the Central and Northern Black Hills will be heavy with long waits at some intersections and bottle neck points. It is not undoable, but if you have the opportunity to reschedule, you should consider doing so. Accomodations will also be expensive, and hard to find unless you get an early start. If you are unable to reschedule I would suggest you look closely at the Southern Black Hills (Hot Springs) for your stay.

Good Luck

Mentioned in this post
Sturgis
Sturgis
South Dakota
The Rushmore Hotel...
912 Reviews
Rapid City, SD
The Black Hills
The Black Hills
South Dakota
Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
954 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic in Surgis

Thank you. I am glad I asked. I hope we can try to work around it. I know I saw on the website that from August 1-7 is the rally.

Lead, South Dakota
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic in Surgis

The official Rally dates this year are a little different. Usually it is the first full week in August but this year it is the 9th through the 15th. I have no idea why.

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic in Surgis

The rally is always the first full week after the first full weekend of August. That pushes it to the second week every once in a while. I'm going to bet that the motels will raise their prices for 2 weeks this year. Just because they can. I would strongly recommend you change your plans if you can unless you want to partake in the things the rally has to offer.

Essex UK
Level Contributor
510 posts
689 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic in Surgis

Hi There,

My Family and I did a five week road trip through America about 7years ago. We started in Seattle and made our way across to Denver visiting many amazing places en route (Mt Rushmore, Mt St Helens, Devils Canyon, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower to name but a few). We had only got as far as John Day when we started noticing the first motor bikes. As we continued on our journey the number of bikes increased, but we had no idea why.

It was only overhearing a conversation about the difficulty in finding hotel rooms that we first heard the name of Sturgis. By the time we reached Hill City we were surrounded by bikers!!

However, this was not a bad experience. We were somewhat of a novelty as an English family and many bikers took the time to stop and talk to us and ask us what we were doing there! We met some lovely and interesting people - two couples who has driven up from Florida with their bikes on a trailer, a guy from Canada who had recently recovered from heart surgery. I even got to sit on a fantastic Harley.

Deciding that if "you can't beat them, join them" we spent a day in Sturgis and saw some strange and fantastic bikes and equally strange and fantastic people (the 60 year old lady with a bra top made out of motor cycle gloves and leather chaps remains a vivid memory!!)

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would recommend anyone giving Sturgis a look.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Denver
Denver
Colorado
The Rushmore Hotel...
912 Reviews
Rapid City, SD
Sturgis
Sturgis
South Dakota
Hill City
Hill City
South Dakota
Florida
Florida
United States
Canada
Canada
North America
Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
954 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic in Surgis

Thanks for the info!

7. Re: Traffic in Surgis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, August 03, 2010