We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

would like any good suggestions

saugerties,ny
Level Contributor
15 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
would like any good suggestions

My husband, his buddy and I are coming West for Sturgis bike week this year. We are traveling from NY and since our buddy has a real job we have only 2-3 days in the area. We would like some suggestions on what not to miss, restaurants and scenic rides in the Sturgis and Black Hills area. The most affordable hotel we found and reserved is the Days Inn in Murdo so that is our beginning and end for each day. Our plan is to take a ride thru Sturgis but we really want to see Rushmore and such. Also give me an idea of what the high and low temps can be so I can pack accordingly since I have limited space on the back of the bike.

saugerties,ny
Level Contributor
15 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: would like any good suggestions

travelin-folk- good information there...thanks. are you from new hampshire and if so..how long did you take to get out to SD. We are crunched into doing a round trip in 1 week and dont think it is a good idea in case of any bad weather or ride weariness. whats your opinion?

Sioux Falls, SD
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: would like any good suggestions

Hi roadkinggirl,

I agree with all the other posts that is quite a ride to and from Sturgis each day. You may want to try to look for accomdations closer as the dates get closer. I have called and there are still rooms available that are closer to Sturgis than Murdo. Check out smaller communities surrounding Sturgis. Plus they tend to start dropping their room prices when the rally is getting closer. but if you are in a deal with the hotel you are in...the Badlands are a must!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: would like any good suggestions

When in Sturgis, be sure to venture east of town to Bear Butte. There will be lots going on out there with all the filled to the max campgrounds along the road.

saugerties,ny
Level Contributor
15 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: would like any good suggestions

I finally have to reply to mu original post here. I am soooo disappointed in the Days Inn Murdo and their parent company Wyndam. After my Mom took very ill I had to scrap the entire trip and stay home but they still would not cancel my reservation, My Mom passed on July 15th 2008 and I never had the foresight to cancel the room, so they charged me twice for it. I have tried repeatedly to get a credit but they seem to be heartless and so have lost my business forever. I still hope to someday come out West and see the many beautiful sights you offer.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: would like any good suggestions

I'm so sorry for your loss of your mother.

As for the Days Inn, it seems that if they charged you twice your credit card company would be responsive to the second charge.

I hope you get your trip out here someday. But don't stay in Murdo for the Rally.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: would like any good suggestions

If it's an option, I'd be looking for a spot closer to Sturgis to stay. A lot of times there are cancellations in the many Rapid City motels and you can move around and stay closer each day. If it's hot, that ride to and from Murdo will be a pain in your butt, literally. That said the suggestions about what to see include some of the great places in the Black Hills. Have a great trip.

Black Hills
Level Contributor
346 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: would like any good suggestions

This week all over town (At least in Rapid City) there were vacancies posted at Hotels/Motels. Nice places too, easy on and off to I-90, etc.

Can't comment on the pricing, but any $ rather than an empty room, is preferred. One CAN negotiate rates. I know it'd be tough for me to think of just coming and finding a room, where history says there aren't ANY available anywhere in the Black Hills. But, this was a different year than most, as was last year.

Depending on how the economy fares from this year to next, perhaps finding a room near Rapid city and the Black Hills the night before, then coming in and securing one in the morning MAY be the way to go.

Also, most websites are limited to the number of rooms they have available to book at the hotel, it doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any rooms available there, just that the number of rooms that site had to book was already maxed...

18. Re: would like any good suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 05, 2010