We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Rushmore / Rapid City (from Denver) in Oct

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
161 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Rushmore / Rapid City (from Denver) in Oct

I plan on flying in to Denver in early October and going to Mt. Rushmore (staying in Rapid City or surrounding area) for a night or two. From there I will head through Wyoming then South back into Colorado.

Can anyone advise me as to the weather conditions this time of year in this area? Also, what is there to see in Wyoming? I am looking to take great photos and see more of this great country.

Thanks in advance

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Rushmore / Rapid City (from Denver) in Oct

You'll probably have nice fall weather. There can be a rogue snowstorm that time of year but it's unlikely.

Be prepared for a lot of wide open spaces between Denver and the Black Hills.

Depending on how far out of the way you want to go in Wyoming, the Bighorn Mountains would make for some great photography. This range is near Buffalo, WY. Buffalo is a three hour drive from Rapid City.

Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
642 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Rushmore / Rapid City (from Denver) in Oct

oh, i forgot to tell you on the CO thread when you were talking about October ... the buffalo round-up in Custer Park is october 2.

not sure if you can work that into your schedule. I have never been, but saw it on HDTV and it looked awesome!

www.sdgfp.info/Parks/Regions/Custer/round.htm

maybe someone can give more info on it.

Custer, South Dakota
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Rushmore / Rapid City (from Denver) in Oct

Hi, the buffalo roundup does occur on Monday Oct 2nd. The roundup is held near the corrals on the wildlife loop road and visitors are advised to arrive b/t 6:30 and 7:30 am. There are 2 viewing areas, north and south, and past visitors have recommended the south viewing area for first time visitors. The buffalo are usually corraled around noon.

Now the weekend prior to the roundup is the Arts Festival, Sept 30 - Oct 2. There are a lot of activities these 3 days, ranging from pancake breakfast, entertainment, crafts, educational programs, etc. Oct 1 is the Buffalo Wallow Chili Cookoff.

Call the park (605-255-4515) or check out their website [www.CusterStatePark.info] for more info.

Littleton, CO
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Rushmore / Rapid City (from Denver) in Oct

Good time of year to go. We are also planning a trip the same time as our kids have a 4 day weekend from school in mid-October. Can be windy, but as long as there is no snow in the forecast, the days will be mild and the evenings cool. Kids have really been asking about going, so we think this year it will work out fr us. Have a great trip.

Custer, South Dakota
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Rushmore / Rapid City (from Denver) in Oct

Hi, please remember unless plans change, all 4 resorts in Custer State Park close October 16 this year.

Level Contributor
39 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Rushmore / Rapid City (from Denver) in Oct

Just got back from Rapid City area. Devil's Tower in Wyoming is fantastic. We were in awe of the climbers we saw that were at least half way up the tower....amazing!

7. Re: Mount Rushmore / Rapid City (from Denver) in Oct

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, August 15, 2009