We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Hills in late September

Moorhead, Minnesota
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Black Hills in late September

We are planning a family reunion in the Black Hills area in late September--no children, just older cousins. Which sites should we put on our "must see" list, and where would be a central place to stay? Or would we be better off staying in different places on different nights? Also, will most of the sites still be open at that time?

Thanks so much...

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,689 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Hills in late September

Yes things will be open.

We like staying in Keystone at the K Bar S Lodge while others on the forum like the Roosevelt Inn. Hill City is another place to stay or possibly the cabins at Custer SP.

Must sees-

Badlands, Spearfish Canyon, Deadwood, Devils Tower, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wind or Jewel Cave and Custer SP.

Be sure and go online or order a travel guide for the Black Hills at-

www.travelsd.com

It has a map, info on lodging, restaurants, coupons, routes, things to see and do, etc.

Enjoy your trip!!

Moorhead, Minnesota
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Hills in late September

Thank you...very helpful information. I'll order that travel guide right away.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Hills in late September

Hi Linda,

You've received perfect info from PeachBelle. Her list of must sees would be identical to mine, with the exception of Deadwood. That is something I would cut out if I ran short on time.

As she said, the major sights will be open. Some of the smaller sites close at Labor Day (very few), and some might have shorter hours, but you will be fine.

I like the Roosevelt Inn, as it has many different types of rooms, including family suites. K Bar S is highly rated on this site and has a nice breakfast and views of Mt Rushmore. It does cater to tour bus groups. A friend of mine stayed there while with a tour, and he did enjoy it very much. Cabins are also a good option for families. Our cabin expert, Mt Mama, has recommended Edelweiss cabins near Hill City.

Since there won't be any children along, you might enjoy staying in Hill City most because it's a bit more sophisticated and less touristy. The shops in Hill City are definitely more upscale and offer less of the t-shirt and mood ring variety souvenirs like Keystone has.

If you stay in Keystone, Hill City, or even Custer, there's really no need to move around each night, as the area is quite compact. The attractions are all within about a 2 hour drive (max).

The travel guide mentioned by Peach will be a tremendous help in your trip planning.

As you continue to firm up your plans, please feel free to stop back with more questions. Have a wonderful family reunion.

Moorhead, Minnesota
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Hills in late September

Thank you so much for this information. Do you have a recommendation for lodging in Hill City?

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Hills in late September

The Holiday Inn Express in Hill City gets good reviews and looks nice from the outside. I have not stayed there, as we like Keystone. There's also a Comfort Inn in Hill City as well.

If you are looking for cabins, you could look at Edelweiss near Hill City as per Mt Mama's recommendations. She has stayed at these before and is quite familiar with the area.

6. Re: Black Hills in late September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:41 am, June 22, 2013