We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resort Tax????

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
271 posts
2,372 reviews
Save Topic
Resort Tax????

We stayed overnight at the LaQuinta motel and when we checked out I was advised there was a $2.00 per night “resort tax”. I ask the clerk about it and she said “that’s just the way it is”. She did not know where the people went or to whom. Does anyone know why there is a “resort tax” on a hotel room of the caliber as a LaQuinta Inn?

Tea, SD
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Resort Tax????

I work at Americas Best Value Inn here in Rapid City. The resort tax is also know as an Occupancy tax, it is a $2 tax paid per room per night to the city; more or less like a bed and booze tax. I hope that gives you a little more information.

Keystone, SD
Level Contributor
102 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resort Tax????

South Dakota lodging taxes can be confusing that's why rates are always quoted without tax. Here is the breakdown for Keystone: 4% state sales Tax, 3% city sales tax, 1.5% in lodging and tourism taxes. This totals 8.5%.

It becomes confusing because tax rates vary from town to town or even within a town. For instance, in Keystone, the city tax rate is either 2 or 3 percent depending on where the business is located. (3% in the "tourist zone" and 2% in "old Keystone".) Rapid City adds an extra $2 in addition to the state, city and tourism tax so their effective tax rate on a $100 room is 9.5 percent. However, since their hotel room tax is a flat $2, the effective rate on a $200 room is only 8.5% -- same as Keystone.

Boggling, isn't it?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
271 posts
2,372 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resort Tax????

Thanks for your reply. At least I understand even if I don 't agree on taxing the tourist "to get them to come". Have a great day!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
159 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resort Tax????

Many towns (and big cities) have some kind of tourism tax. Sometimes its a %, sometimes its a flat fee like $2.00. Pays for various things like tourism advertising and whatnot. I'm actually surprised when I'm not charged an additional tax. Seems like I've got a 50/50 shot these days of getting charged or not, regardless of the city.

Edited: 4:22 pm, November 01, 2011
Wedowee, Alabama
Level Contributor
10 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resort Tax????

I just was looking for something else about Rapid City because we will be there for a reunion in April and found an article about the occupation tax from the Rapid City Journal. "The $2 occupational tax, which was created in 2006, is assessed per room per night at every Rapid City hotel with more than 50 rooms. The proceeds go to the Rapid City Convention & Visitors Bureau to fund tourism marketing and promotion."

Read more: rapidcityjournal.com/news/…ixzz1fQcFbTJB

Wyoming
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resort Tax????

In Spearfish their sales tax rate goes up for the summer at tourist related businesses. I don't know who determines which businesses have to charge more. In Wyoming there is a lodging tax that is voted on by county(maybe city). It is only charged by the lodging industry. From my experience, some type of this tax is the norm in tourist areas.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
85 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Resort Tax????

Hello everyone I want to share some facts. Rapid City does have a BID tax which adds a $2 tax per room per night. However the LaQuinta hotel actually does not reside in Rapid City. They are located in Box Elder so they do not collect the BID tax. They do charge a $2 resort tax for their property, this is not a tax that goes to the city but goes to the hotel itself.

I hope that clarified things a bit.

Thank you

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
271 posts
2,372 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Resort Tax????

Thanks for you clarification. I did not understand before and now I do.

9. Re: Resort Tax????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, March 15, 2013