We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodges

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
lodges

Can anyone help? We are a family of 8 adults and 8 children. We would like to stay at Palmer gulch, edelweiss mountain lodging or Back Roads Inn and cabins. Any thoughts of cleanliness, room, quality, outdoor activity? It is hard to know from the internet if these lodges are in quiet locations or on busy roads. If they are clean or crowded together. Children do make noise.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodges

Our family has been renting cabins on Edelweiss Mountain for the past 8 years. We absolutely love it there. It is centrally located to all the Black Hill's attractions and a great place to unwind after a busy day in the Hills. The cabins are located 3 miles off the main highway of US 385 in a quiet, gated community. The cabins are private homes situated in a wooded area. Most are on 1+ acre lots but because of the trees you cannot see neighboring cabins easily, if it all. The cabins are extremely clean and well equiped. Some are very nicely furnished and others with 2nd hand furniture, but decent. Beds have all been comfortable but not what you would get at a Hampton Inn or Hyatt. The only activity in this area is hiking and you can rent boats at the marina on Pactola Lake, a short 2 miles away. You can also swim at the lake. Some of the cabins have hot tubs, pool tables, ping pong tables, etc. Most all the cabins have TV's, DVD's and games you can play. We usually spend evenings playing games or sit on the deck star gazing, a favorite of the kids. There are two different management companies that handle these private homes. We have dealt with both, Alpine Cabins and Edelweiss Mountain. However, Edelweiss Mountain has changed management since we rented through them. From our experience I would highly recommend staying there. I have included websites for both:

http://www.alpinecabins.net/index.htm

http://www.edelweissmountain.com/

We have never stayed at either Palmer Gulch or Back Roads Inn so I can not advise on cleanliness, etc. I can tell you that both are very family oriented with many activities for children. Back Raods Inn is probably the quieter of the two. Palmer Gulch has a campground associated with it and always seems very busy.

arizona
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodges

Thank you for the information on Edelweiss. That is just the confirmation I was looking for, quiet, clean and close to activities.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodges

If you have any questions regarding certain cabins at Edelweiss please feel free to ask. We have stayed in four on the mountain and my brother-in-law has stayed in a couple we have not. I am including two more websites for Edelweiss Mountain. The first one, Executive Lodging, has a brand new cabin on the mountain that is absolutely beautiful. Have not stayed in it but would love to some day. It is called Midnight Blu. Most of the other cabins they offer are in the Deadwood/Lead area which is not as centrally located as Hill City.

…executive-lodging.com/RNS/…MidnightBlu.aspx

This website has 2 cabins that are on the mountain, one which my brother-in-law's family stayed in and really liked (Page 2).

homeaway.com/vacation-rentals/…r8561

Home Nestled on 2 Acres of Pines, Fantastic Views from 3 Decks, on Lovely Edelweiss - Page 2

Unique mountain top home on beautiful Edelweiss mountain near Pactola lake. - Page 1

4. Re: lodges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 17, 2011