We (family of 4 with 2 kids - 14 &12) are planning a trip to the Black Hills from 5/31-6/7. Here is our plan. We will arrive in Rapid City on 5/31.
5/31-6/4 - stay in Hill City
We would like to see - Custer State Park, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Mammoth Site, Wind Cave, Spearfish Canyon .
6/5-6/6- stay in Wall to see Badlands. Leave on 6/7 from Rapid City.
Questions for TA DEs-
1. How does this itinerary look? Is that too much to do between 5/31-6/4 (4 full days and 2 half days).
2. Is Spearfish Canyon a doable day trip from Hill City?
3. Once we have done Wind Cave, should we plan to do any of the other caves.
4. What is the Harney Peak hike like? Any do's and don'ts
5. In Custer State Park - is there good hiking? Does one get out and walk on the Wildlife Loop or is it only a drive thru?
Thanks so much!