We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car needed?

Dallas, TX
2 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car needed?

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone would or would not recommend that we get a rental car when we visit Deadwood. We are booked for a couple of tours that will take us to Mount Rushmore and also to Mt. Moriah Cemetary. Are there other places outside of Deadwood that are not included in a tour that are a must see? I'm just wondering if it's worth the money to get a rental car or if everything we need to see and do is centrally located within Deadwood and we don't need one. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Adams House
Historic Sites, History Museums
Adams Museum
History Museums
Mt Roosevelt Monument
Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Genesee, CO
Level Contributor
646 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car needed?

i would say rent a car. actually the price of the car would have probably saved you the admission on those tours? (not sure how much you are paying)

places like custer state park, spearfish canyon, etc. are great and you will miss out on much of the area without a car.

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car needed?

The answer to this question depends on how much you're going to see.

If you're spending most of your time in downtown Deadwood and everything you want to see outside of Deadwood is accessible via your tours, then you probably don't need a car. Within Deadwood, you can walk or the Deadwood Trolley can take you most places.

Do you want to go to Spearfish Canyon or Custer State Park? Crazy Horse? Devils Tower? You'll need a car unless you can find another tour.

How are you getting to Deadwood? If you're flying to Rapid City, then you simply get a rental car at the airport. But if you're getting to Deadwood in a different way, I'm not sure there is any way to rent a car in Deadwood. Spearfish might have something--I believe the Spearfish airport has some rental cars.

Mentioned in this post
Crazy Horse
Crazy Horse
South Dakota
Rapid City
Rapid City
South Dakota
Spearfish
Spearfish
South Dakota
Level Contributor
42 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car needed?

We just got back from the Deadwood area. Yes---definately rent a car. We took the Discovery Tour which did give us a great overview of Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Sylvan Lake, Hill City, and Needles Highway. It was very reasonable, included lunch and they picked us up and dropped us off at our timeshare resort which was very close to Deadwood. We used the rental car to take several day trips to Spearfish ( 30 min), Devil's Tower( 90 min) and Badlands Scenic Byway RTE 240 (2 hours) and of course Wall Drugstore just for the fun of it! All of thoses trips were well worth the cost of the car.

Mentioned in this post
Crazy Horse
Crazy Horse
South Dakota
Hill City
Hill City
South Dakota
Spearfish
Spearfish
South Dakota
Dallas, TX
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car needed?

Thank you all for your help. It sounds like I'll be renting a car!

5. Re: Rental Car needed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Deadwood