We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from deadwood

Amsterdam, New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Road trip from deadwood

We will be staying in deadwood, can we see all the sights of the southern hills in one day, such as crazy horse mount Rushmore and custered state park and wildlife loop?

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,988 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from deadwood

I would not attempt this. You would not have much out of car time.

Is there a reason you want to cram everything in like that? Are you short on touring time?

Many allot a day for Custer State Park so they can get out of the vehicle and enjoy. I could spend several hours lingering around Sylvan Lake. Crazy Horse can take 2-3 hours, as can Mt. Rushmore. Two days would be much more ideal.

To help us assist you more, can you give us a few more details on your trip? How much touring time do you have, and are you staying in Deadwood for the duration of the time? Those of us here on the forum typically don't recommend basing in Deadwood, as it will add to your drive time seeing the major sights. Expect at least 30 minutes extra each way, depending on where you are going.

Amsterdam, New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from deadwood

We will actually be staying for five or six nights for the sturgis rally and think deadwood would be convenient for the event but want to plan the scenic drives throughout the stay so we have the time to split the drives just wondering what thinks to plan together Thanks for any in put I have never been before

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,988 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from deadwood

There's no need to rush the trip since you have that much time. Here's a link to a very recent post that I just responded to that would probably help you in your trip planning and grouping of attractions.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28962-i673-k53702…

You mention scenic drives...I'm not sure if you are traveling by car or motorcycle. As I'm sure you've probably read, the area is quite crowded during the rally. I have not been there during this time, but I do know people who go regularly. My friend who goes each year basically spends his time riding around the area, but I suppose others stay close to the action going on in Sturgis. I am really not that familiar with the rally as being there at that time doesn't appeal to me.

Let us know if you have any more specific questions.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from deadwood

If you haven't booked your accommodations yet, do so now. They fill up fast/early - also, prices are usually higher during the Sturgis Rally. I would suggest booking 1/2 the time in Deadwood and the other 1/2 further south eg. Keystone or Custer.

Nice drives/scenery: Spearfish Canyon, hwy 385 thru Hill City, Iron Mtn. Rd., Needles Hwy., wildlife loop

5. Re: Road trip from deadwood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:40 pm, June 18, 2013