We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Deadwood too far away from most tourist attractions?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is Deadwood too far away from most tourist attractions?

Hi,

Our family of five is traveling to the Black Hills and we have the opportunity to stay at a nice vacation rental in Deadwood. My only concern is that it is too far away from most of the things that we want to see (I.e. Mount Rushmore, Jewel Cave, Mammoth Site). I was looking for some opinions. Is it a long drive down to the Hill City/ Rapid City area or is it bearable for a nice place to stay? any opinions would be welcomed. Thanks!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,887 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Deadwood too far away from most tourist attractions?

To me, there are plenty of nice places to stay in the Black Hills. I would not recommend basing myself in Deadwood for the entire trip. A couple of nights would be ok, however. Keep in mind you are talking more than an hour's drive to everything you'd want to see, one way. It's an hour and 10 mins from Rushmore, an hour and 45 mins from Hot Springs, and about an hour and a half from Jewel Cave.

I am certain there are nice rental properties in the Hill City area. You might even consider a cabin, perhaps in Custer State Park. I have not stayed in the park, but based on the website, the cabins look far from rustic. Here's their site:

custerresorts.com

Have a good trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Deadwood too far away from most tourist attractions?

SLRTravelPlanner is right about travel times from the Deadwood area. Although bearable it is not as convenient as staying in the Keystone/Hill City area. We have in the past stayed in Spearfish Canyon and made the drive to the Mt. Rushmore/Custer State Park area on several ocassions and found it to be somewhat of a hassel since we wanted to spend more time in this area than the northern Hills. We have since found a private cabin that we rent in the Hill City area which is a very central location to both the northern and southern Hills. Not knowing what you consider to be "very nice" and within your budget, I can also recommend some places. Are you looking for a high end cabin with alot of privacy or something that is clean, comfortable and nicely decorated but not necessarily "high end"?

Most of the cabins in Custer State Park (CSP) are older but updated, some very small, and located within a close vicinity of other cabins. I would consider them rustic compared to some of the beautiful private cabins you can rent in the Deadwood area. However, there is something very special about staying in CSP. We especially love the cabins at Blue Bell Lodge.

The private cabin we now rent is situated in an area with other privately owned cabins, all of which have an acre or more of land, offering quite a bit of privacy. Most of these cabins are very nice but not necessarily "high end". I have included some websites for lodging in the Keystone/Hill City/Custer areas.

Executive Lodging - The Midnight Blu cabin is just north of Hill City on Edelweiss Mountain. It is within sight of a couple of other cabins but it is very peaceful and serene. This cabin is fairly new and has a hot tub and a nice view. Friends and relatives of ours rented it last summer. It is gorgeous. (Most of the other cabins are for rent in the Deadwood/Lead area.)

www.executive-lodging.com/midnightblu.html

Alpine Cabin Rentals - The cabin we rent is through this management company. It is also located on Edelweiss Mountain just minutes away from Pactola Lake.

http://www.alpinecabins.net/

Edelweiss Mountain Lodging

http://www.edelweissmountain.com/

Other lodging opts in the Hill City/Keystone/Custer areas

hillcitysd.com/Around-Town/…Resorts

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Deadwood too far away from most tourist attractions?

We stayed in Keystone for the first half of our week and in Hill City for the second half. Took a day trip to Deadwood early on, and found its restaurants much much better than Keystone. The drive was not too long -- a little over an hour. Keystone/Hill City are closer to the natural attractions (Custer State Park, caves, Needles) and Mount Rushmore, but Deadwood is more densely packed with things to do. (Shopping was best in Hill City -- lots of identical schlock everywhere else.) We had a free day and drove to Devil's Tower, and were glad to have an excuse to stop back in Deadwood again for dinner. For fine dining, neither Hill City nor Keystone seemed to have anything like what Deadwood has. We hadn't had any notion of going to Deadwood when we planned our trip, but I'm glad we went there.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
78 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Deadwood too far away from most tourist attractions?

Thanks for your replies. They were helpful on making a decision. We decided to rent a cabin in Custer and that worked out well for us.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Deadwood too far away from most tourist attractions?

Yes, we just stayed a 9 day trip in Rapid City. your looking at 50 Minutes to get to rapid and another 25 or 30 to get to Keystone. then another 15 to 20 to black hills and Custer.

6. Re: Is Deadwood too far away from most tourist attractions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 am, October 02, 2012