We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dinosaur dig

Horicon, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
140 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
dinosaur dig

Has anyone gone on a dinosaur dig out of Belle Fourche? If so, I would love to here about your experience. We are stopping at Mount Rushmore on our way to UT and only have 2 days in this area. I am not sure if spending a whole day digging for dinosaur bones is worth it or if we should do other things in the area. Thanks.

3 replies to this topic
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dinosaur dig

I was not aware of this, so I did a google search and found PaleoAdventures. Thanks for letting us all know that this exists. Many families coming to the area are looking for "dinosaur" attractions, and this is good to know about.

This being said, I do not have experience here, and I have not ever seen anything posted about it on this forum. We can hope that someone reads your inquiry who has some direct experience.

Is it worth it? Tough to say. It really would depend on your family's interests. There are many family attractions in the area, and with only 2 days, most focus on Rushmore and Custer State Park. The Badlands are also gorgeous.

As you may or may not know, there are other dinosaur attractions located in the Black Hills. The Mammoth Site is very well known and has a Jr. Paleontology Dig for kids. I have seen the site and found it quite interesting. Our family has not done the dig, but those who have seem to have enjoyed it. The site in located in Hot Springs and could be added to your Custer State Park visit. It would not take an entire day.

You also have Everything Prehistoric in Hill City, which includes a shop that sells all types of dinosaur products and has a small museum attached, where you will find fully assembled dinosaur skeletons and many types of gems.

If you do decide to participate in PaleoAdventures, please post a review and/or trip report so we can all learn how you liked this attraction.

Have a great trip.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dinosaur dig

We just returned yesterday from taking our granddaughter (9) on a Paleoadventures dig, This is the real deal, and although we loved it, it does depend on your interests. Walter Stein is the paleontologist, and is very knowledgeable and experienced. You are about an hour from Belle Fourche. There are no facilities, and some climbing is involved in and out of the site (we were at Tooth Draw) but we had a wonderful time. Kathleen found two Triceratops teeth, some duckbill dino bones, and turtle shell fragments. The day before we went, a T-Rex tooth was found! For us, it was worth it - we came from Virginia just to do this. Kathleen got tired after 5 hours, so we left early, but Walter will adapt your day to your group. Digging involves lots of patience and concentration, Walter explains things very well, shows you how to set up and excavate, and answers a thousand questions :-). If you want an actual on-site dig experience, this is it :-).

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dinosaur dig

Vabeachgirl, thanks so much for letting us know how your experience was. This sounds like it would be great for families looking for a unique fossil hunting experience. Thanks again for sharing with everyone. I hope the rest of your trip went just well as this.

Reply to: dinosaur dig
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belle Fourche
More Belle Fourche Topics