We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfside beach versus Myrtle Beach

Tolono, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Surfside beach versus Myrtle Beach

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to SC, and I've heard alot about Myrtle beach. But the resort that I want to stay at is in Surfside Beach. I'm wondering what's the big difference between those beaches. What's so special about Myrtle beach that it got so popular?

I'll be traveling with my wife and prefer less people and madness. Should I follow the fame and stay at the Myrtle beach, or Surfside beach would totally be fine?

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfside beach versus Myrtle Beach

Hi Mark H, I'll mention a couple topics:

The differences - Myrtle Beach has many very nice high rise resorts and high rise condos and there will be a lot of people in Myrtle Beach from June through August. - Surfside Beach is mostly houses and smaller condos. There are a lot less people in Surfside Beach during the summer than Myrtle Beach, with the exception of around the pier (+ or - 1 block) where there will be more people.

Location - Surfside Beach is just south of Myrtle Beach. There are various attractions all along the Grand Strand so driving distance to different attractions depends on which attraction - some are north and some are south of both towns. It is still an easy drive taking SR-31 to North Myrtle Beach, or US-17 down to Georgetown from either location. (FYI: Surfside Beach is closer to Murrells Inlet which is where many great restaurants are located.)

Resort... - Unless there is something new in the past year or so that I missed, Surfside Beach is all houses and condos with the exception of the Holiday Inn at the far north end of Surfside Beach and the Surfside Beach Resort located at the pier. I am guessing the Surfside Beach Resort is what you are talking about. It receives mixed but mostly positive reviews on TA. Just be aware, this is an old Day's Inn Hotel, not a new resort like you would find in Myrtle Beach. Also note, since it is at the pier, there will be more people in this area than a bock or so north or south of the pier.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g54459-d97645-R…

I would suggest comparing prices with condos in the area. 2nd or 3rd row condos may be found at a very good price when comparing to condos or hotels on the beach. (Sea Grove is usually a great price and is a nice clean 3rd row condo with a nice pool. Sea Cloisters 2 is the nicest condo I have visited, but it is oceanfront and more expensive.) I have used both of these realty companies many times without issue:

http://www.surfsiderealty.com/

http://www.dunes.com/

If you are looking for a new fancy resort rather than a hotel, condo, or house, you should probably look at Myrtle Beach or North Myrtle Beach.

Tolono, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfside beach versus Myrtle Beach

Thank you for your opinion. We will be in the area 4/6 through 4/11. we are from Illinois and will be cooking chilli in Corinth MS on 4/5, head to Myrtle beach area for 4-5 nights and then up to Belton SC to cook on the 12th before heading home. From your reply the crowds shouldn't be very bad in the Myrtle Beach area. We don't really need wild night life but enjoy a good little bar and food. It sounds as though either place would work out. Thanks again for your reply.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfside beach versus Myrtle Beach

You're welcome. Have a great trip!

Mays Landing NJ
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfside beach versus Myrtle Beach

We are looking for a quieter vacation in late April but want to be able to walk to restaurants and shopping. If we booked an oceanfront or beachfront condo in Surfside Beach, would we be able to do this or would we be better off in Myrtle Beach?

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfside beach versus Myrtle Beach

NJLindaTom,

Surfside Beach is definitely quieter but in April Myrtle Beach won't be bad either.

If you stay on the south side of Surfside Beach, you could walk to the Conch Cafe which is right on the beach. There are also places to eat at the pier such as River City Cafe and a couple bars. Not much for shopping unless you head to US-17 however.

If you stay in Myrtle Beach in the single digit avenues, you will have more options within walking distance. If you ask this in the MB forum, you'll see more indepth suggestions as to where to stay and what is within walking distance.

If you want great food, I highly suggest driving to Murrells Inlet regardless where you stay. For shopping I suggest driving to Barefoot Landing, Broadway at the Beach, and Pawleys Island Hammock Shops

6. Re: Surfside beach versus Myrtle Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 24, 2015