We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hikes in Spartanburg SC/NC area?

Which Spartanburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Hikes in Spartanburg SC/NC area?

I regularly vacation in Spartanburg for reasons I won't go into, though I do like the place very much.

Are there any good hikes/nature rambles that can be taken in the area? Although I like rough terrain and wild places my walking partner is more used to short walks. Although there seem to be some beautiful mountains and forests in the area she says they are mostly 'out of bounds' to the public?

Ideally, the more local wildlife we can see, the better.

Thanks.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hikes in Spartanburg SC/NC area?

Mike, I've never heard anyone say they vacation Spartanburg! LOL! But, I can't say much because my wife and I spent our honeymoon first night there at the Residence Inn! We were going to go to Asheville but there a snow storm! Hey- we loved it! Do you eat at the Beacon when in S'Burg? "Cheeze...burger...a - plentayyyyyyyy". Ever heard that?

Hiking - drive up I-85 to Kings Mountain National Military Park ( 30-45 minutes from S'burg). Crowder's MOuntain ( just beyond that) has good trails, too.

And, 45 minutes to an hour up I-26 - you'll find lots of opportunity in Henderson and Polk Counties. Go to www.hendersonville.com and click on activities - you'll see lots of hiking and outdoor activities within an hour of S'Burg.

Best wishes.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hikes in Spartanburg SC/NC area?

LOL _ I'm sending you to King's Mountain and the whole trail there is full of monuments dedicated to our Patriots whipping you guys good in the Revolutionary War! LOL. Anyway - good history - you can visit the grave of Scottish major Ferguson there!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hikes in Spartanburg SC/NC area?

I lived in Spartanburg for 18 years, not much hiking although they do have a very nice walking trail behind Spartanburg High School, park at the tennis courts and follow the signs, they have a nice path that follows Lawsons Fork Creek. Spartan High is on east side of town. As for Beacon, when Mr. White sold it several years ago, well, it is not the same as it use to be, not even close. Greenville has a nice area downtown along the Reedy River, but your better hiking will be NC. Chimney Rock, Ceasars Head, Blue Ridge Parkway is a wonderful drive and many places to stop and walk around/hike.

England
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hikes in Spartanburg SC/NC area?

Wow! Wasn't expecting a bunch of helpful replies so quickly - thanks!

While my fiancee is from S'Burg and I genuinely love visiting the place we don't plan on honeymooning there!

I did intend checking out the Kings Mountain and similar trails at some point - looks great from the road on the way to Charlotte. I'm pretty certain we'll try out the Kings Mountain at least.

I'd read about the Beacon in tour guides and been past it but haven't yet eaten there (my fiancee is vegetarian - guess they don't do a veggie burger!?). She told me about some old guy who serves the burgers?

We went round the trail in the woods near the high school which was pretty good. Also the botanical gardens little area in the town.

I'll research those NC hikes before the next trip.

On a slightly different track, it would be nice to have somewhere you can take your dog to run free and just get a little daily excercise. There was a nice park in S'Burg next to some big business where we could kick a football and run around the perimeter and a little park with a big pond that you can run laps around -both seemed to be dog free.

Thanks for the posts, much appreciated!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hikes in Spartanburg SC/NC area?

You are referrring to Milliken at Business 85 and Pine Street (585) its a great place to throw a blanket on the ground, watch people, let your dog run. (I am assuming dogs can still run free, they may have to be leashed).

England
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hikes in Spartanburg SC/NC area?

You're surely right about it being the Milliken park. I am amazed that in such a huge country people in a relatively small town can't even find places to walk their dog?

I live in a medium UK town, VERY crowded by US terms. I always have countryside to walk in freely with my dog well within the town. I can wander 1000 year old footpaths and enjoy them fully.

You live in the most amazingly huge country, you have to drive for ages across large areas of country to get anywhere but there is NOWHERE to actually just go about normal living, like dog walking? Utterly incredible. I HATE to see dogs chained up in yards when you have 100's more miles per dog/person to walk in?

I REALLY don't get it. It's all 'owned' by someone who doesn't wan't the US public there? The smallest UK village has plenty of places to walk and be free, with or without dogs? Spartanburg covers the area of a city and has nowhere?

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hikes in Spartanburg SC/NC area?

Very interesting observation, might make for good debate in some college classroom somewhere. I don't have any special insight into why it is that way. Americans are busy, they are always on the go maybe why there isn't a big push for walking trails. As for a parents standpoint, unless you have a 12' high chain link fence with razor wire on top, you really hate to let your children out and play anyway, too many crazy people. Its not like it was when I was young and you could play outside. And I don't recommend people walking their dogs alone in our country, you get rather skiddish, especially for children, teens and females, that someone will jump out and "get you"! Our society is so "gadget" oriented, our children can't leave their Nintendos or Playstations alone anyway, even if we did let them go outside.

Your comments would make good "bar room" discussions or "pubs" as you call them.

England
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hikes in Spartanburg SC/NC area?

That's interesting as my Spartanburgian fiancee feels very uncomfortable here in the UK with supposed rampant youth criminals on the public .

My main point though was about the availability of places to walk a dog and the hope there might be somewhere nice? If we can do it in a small poor town in the UK surely the USA has plenty of space for walking for people with not too much money?

I notice you have no speed cameras or CCTV to catch crime?

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hikes in Spartanburg SC/NC area?

As for "camera" there are a few places that have them, we have an organization called ACLU which I am sure you have heard of, pretty much anything that can be used to keep us "safe" is an infringement, according to them of our right to privacy. Which is my opinion, in this day and age, we need all the protection we can get. If FBI wants to listen to me talk to my Aunt Ethel, please, I have nothing to hide. But liberals have decided thats an infringement. Oh well, I am going to get hot and bothered about that situation. Most people anyway walk their dogs on the sidewalk or roadway.

England
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hikes in Spartanburg SC/NC area?

I was thinking more of 'speed cameras' on the roads - those things would make a fortune over there! Everyone drives like maniacs, especially lorries and the police are nowhere in sight. And to think my fiancee is scared of driving on UK roads!

Walking the dog at the side of the road is kind of a poor solution in such spectacular country - kind of my point was that we can walk lots of places on this crowded old isle in any town but in a semi-city like Spartanburg set in the iddle of a lot of wilderness there is NOWHERE to walk. Apart of course from the designated trails of the hikes - are dogs allowed there?