We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ugh. A hotel @ Freshfields? No Newton Farms?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Ugh. A hotel @ Freshfields? No Newton Farms?

I just saw that there will be a Marriott opening at Freshfields in March. What is up with that? Where will it be located? I am assuming guests will not have access to Seabrook. Right? Please say I am right.

Also, I see that Newton Farms has been replaced by a Harris Teeter and the reviews are horrible.

Residents and frequent visitors please comment so I can at least mentally prepare myself for this summer's visit.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ugh. A hotel @ Freshfields? No Newton Farms?

Any improvements?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
354 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ugh. A hotel @ Freshfields? No Newton Farms?

Very disappointed to hear that Newton Farms is no more. We really enjoyed shopping there and putting together the couple of at-home lunch or dinner options for our wonderful vacation week. Thanks for the warning...I knew about the hotel but not the changes at Newtown Farms.

Dundas, Ontario.
Level Contributor
5 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ugh. A hotel @ Freshfields? No Newton Farms?

First impressions... Shock!

When we got in after the sixteen freeway hours, we could not figure out what had happened to Newton Farms! Where were the antiseptic wet wipes for the carts? Where was the selection of specialty breads (Ecce Panis)? Where was the really fresh orange juice (four sad containers of 'best before' on ice). Why was the Starbucks entrance blocked by carts?The magazines had moved, so had the yoghurt. Really humdrum bread stacked the shelves where interesting organic cereals used to be; many cheese selections had vanished. The atmosphere was just not there. The cashiers were standing in front of their stations inviting anyone passing with a cart to come through. Why were the magazines on the outward side of the checkout? In fairness, notices announced that there would be work done on the former Starbucks area overnight tonight. Maybe improvements to the entrances will be made. We were pleased

to see at least one of the former Newton Farms staff, a favourite bagger, was still there with a ready greeting.

Then we clocked the banner notices about Harris Teeter. Not a brand recognized by these Canadians, but a quick internet search has filled us in, and we are pleased to be able to contribute to this thread. More as our visit progresses!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ugh. A hotel @ Freshfields? No Newton Farms?

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to hearing more. Not sure if you are a fan of the green stuff, but I loved NF's guacamole and a report would be welcomed.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ugh. A hotel @ Freshfields? No Newton Farms?

I am much happier with Harris Teeter now than I was earlier in the year, when I originally posted. Once you have time to "explore" the store, you will find most everything you want and - in some cases - better selection than we had at Newton Farms.

No problem now with fresh dairy, meat, fish, and produce, which are abundant and lovely. Prepared food selections are about the same as at Newton Farms, but we like the few salads we've tried better than the old recipes. Wine department has very interesting wines, and offers discount on mix-n-match case just as did Piggly Wiggly.

I agree that the selection of fresh baked breads is DISMAL; Ecce Panis is much needed! The only good thing about the fresh bread and bakery departments is that they don't tempt me off my protein diet. ;-)

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ugh. A hotel @ Freshfields? No Newton Farms?

The freshly prepared guacamole and salsa are still available and still good. Guacamole has a bit more "heat" than I remember, but that's the way I like it. Sadly, the store-made fresh corn chips (which I used to take back to New York whenever I could) are not available at this time.

I was in Harris Teeter early this morning. They were still installing new shelving (refrigerated cases had already been replaced and expanded) and rearranging goods. Probably trying to get everything ship shape before the Memorial Day invasion. Though they had told us they would close in January to remodel and restock, they wisely carried on, keeping the store open for residents and making incremental changes along the way.

They have finally added limited "catering" (I picked up the print brochure in the deli's prepared-foods section). The catering is not so elaborate as that offered at Newton Farms, but could change with demand. Though I'm very disappointed in the bakery and fresh baked breads section, I'm hoping for good things in our future with Harris Teeter.

Dundas, Ontario.
Level Contributor
5 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ugh. A hotel @ Freshfields? No Newton Farms?

Glad to say that 10 am on Tuesday revealed a better experience than 3 pm on Monday. Fresh squeezed OJ was plentiful, and very fresh. Guacamole nestled right beside it in the ice: for fans of the hot oniony sort, this fits the bill. There was a new (to us) station of boiled peanuts, and a hot lunch counter beside Starbucks. The main door there is now blocked and a side door accesses the patio. Wine, fish, cheese are all much as NF, and the salad bar offers many made-up salads in addition to the usual items.

The only wrinkle came when I went to return a sub-par food item. This should be an easy process for the customer, but it became quite tense as I was unwilling to produce my driver's licence at the insistence of a computer, for an eight dollar refund. It would be best to have their customer card, as a manager explained those were HT's rules. Eventually the refund was thrust ungraciously at me, and I left feeling that customer service needed some fine tuning! Several of the check-out clerks, however, do demonstrate excellent people skills.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,773 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Ugh. A hotel @ Freshfields? No Newton Farms?

Thanks for the updated report! I ran into the ridiculous driver's license thing when they first opened last fall. Must be a corporate edict from the home office in NC. Anyway, the VIC card is handy to have and easy to obtain. Weekly discounts for bearers of the VIC card make up for any fleeting sense of injustice I might have felt. ;-)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
66 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ugh. A hotel @ Freshfields? No Newton Farms?

Thanks folks! I am very relieved that I don't have to pack guacamole from Portland, which would be a little messy. Although I am contemplating smuggling pimento cheese back here from my trip this summer.

Dundas, Ontario.
Level Contributor
5 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Ugh. A hotel @ Freshfields? No Newton Farms?

Just to update: a huge refit is happening at the store, overnight, every night this week. A manager told me they have eighty to one hundred folks there all night, moving and reinstalling shelves, restocking etc. and they still open daily! It's a different look to NF, but may well have broader, instantly recogizable appeal.

I checked out the Andell Inn lobby, and the design is lovely, with great emphasis on driftwood as a theme, and displays of local artists' work. Textured fabrics enhance the varied sitting areas in the large lobby area, and a glassed-in section with a laptop-friendly counter overlooks the lagoon. The professionalism of the desk staff fits in well with the area.

Get answers to your questions about Seabrook Island