We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What kind of place is Pawleys Island?

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
What kind of place is Pawleys Island?

We are considering Pawleys Island for our next vacation. We have been to the South Carolina coast several times. We have been to Kiawah and Hilton Head 1 time each and Edisto on 3 occasions.

My wife and I like Edisto because it is quiet and non-commercial, but my teenagers liked Hilton Head because there are so many activities.

I have been doing online research and it seems like Pawleys Island might be a good compromise. It looks like it will be a more laid back, family type of beach area, but we could make a day trip or two into Myrtle Beach for excitement.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Milford, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: What kind of place is Pawleys Island?

We're heading to Pawley's Island for the first time this August. My kids love shelling. Any insight the best place for shelling?

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What kind of place is Pawleys Island?

I don't consider shelling to be great around here, but for just casual fun, either end of PI around low tide is usually your best bet. There's a good chance you'll also come across starfish and a hermit crab or two.

Another good choice is the north end of the beach at Huntington Beach State Park, near the jetty. It's a nice hike from the beach access, but it's a beautiful beach and not nearly as crowded.

For serious shelling, your best chance is to take Cap'n Rod's boat tour in Georgetown out to "Shell Island" (North Island). It's a fun trip and the beach is usually full of shells. http://www.lowcountrytours.com/

Hope y'all have a great trip!

Milford, Michigan
3 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: What kind of place is Pawleys Island?

Thanks so much! I appreciate the great tip.

14. Re: What kind of place is Pawleys Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 18, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Pawleys Island