We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish?

Which Pawleys Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Richmond, VA
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jellyfish?

We vacationed in N. Litchfield last summer, August 15-22. We stayed at Litchfield Retreat and loved everything about our location, the beaches, the restaurants, etc.

HOWEVER, within 15 minutes of our arrival, I was stung really badly on the leg by a jellyish while walking in the water's edge (small wave smacked it into my leg).

There were jellyfish EVERYWHERE the entire week and LOTS of people got stung (one poor girl got hit once a day, 3 days in a row!). Thankfully I was the only one in my family (but it took weeks for my leg to heal, unfortunately).

We DESPERATELY want to go back to Litchfield again this summer and really like the quiet (and reduced rates) that August brings-- plus it fits our schedules well. I'm still feeling a bit chicken from the whole experience and I have 2 small kids (7 & 4) who were nervous about going in the water (although they didn't know for a while what happened).

I guess my question is whether or not this is the norm for August or was it really just some strange fluke? A few people told us that they'd been coming to the beach for years and never seen anything like it. Any suggestions?

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish?

Sounds like a fluke. We had nothing at all like that at Isle of Palms, but I know that people who go to Hilton Head often complain of Jellies. I'm not sure why we have these variations.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish?

Late summer is when jellyfish usually are most frequently found in our area, but rarely are they at problem levels. Most of what we have are the cannonball or "jelly ball" jellyfish. These do not have tentacles, and thus are not a threat to humans. Rarely do people experience any discomfort from these, or at worst, a slight irritation.

On rare occasions, some of the more problematic jellyfish are seen, but I do not recall any widespread problems last year. A good source of info regarding SC jellyfish: dnr.sc.gov/marine/pub/seascience/jellyfi.html

Come on back, you'll have a great time!

3. Re: Jellyfish?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Pawleys Island