We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

senior week

canton,ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Topic
senior week

My daughter is going to North Myrtleafter graduation with 7 of her friends and we need a condo that will rent to 18 yr. olds. does anyone know of any places to stay?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: senior week

Responsible landlords wont take the liability of renting to underaged people. Too many bad things happen when a bunch of teenagers get loose at the beach. Jumping off balconies, setting the place on fire, alcohol toxocis, etc. Better you should rent a larger place and send two adults along.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,339 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: senior week

Most of the Seniors stay down in Myrtle Beach...close to where the

Boardwalk area is. There are a few hotels that rent to 18 yr olds....(of course

their parents make the reservations with their credit cards)

If you type in "Senior Week" in the search line above...lots of posts will come up with hotel names. Go to the Myrtle Beach forum to do this...you will get more responses. Good luck!

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: senior week

http://www.retreatmyrtlebeach.com/terms.htm

Really don't know alot about this company other than I see more and more of their signs in NMB each trip. Not the greatest properties in the area but I have seen worse.

Looking at rules and policies I didn't see anything about ages.

Keep in mind. A place that rents to young adults or allows pets might not be a quality property.

Do some research and try to find reviews. There are some fly by night outfits that target teens. Charging high rates for run down properties because they know students have little choice.

Would have to go back through last year's posts but group of kids had very bad experience with a house in Ocean Drive section of NMB. Couple blocks off the beach. Couple break ins during the week. Almost like the house was well known as easy target because it always rented to kids without adult supervision.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: senior week

In NMB Retreat Myrtle Beach is the only agency I know that rents to seniors. If only parents could see their children during that time :o) Amazing how they forget their common sense. You absolutey need to warn and "threaten" your teens about the DANGERS that can happen away from home. Tell them to NOT NOT NOT walk alone at night, to only walk in groups. My opinion, don't let teen girls walk anywhere at night at the beach, but people always disagree with me. YES breakins are a problem. You maybe on vacation but criminals are not, they are waiting for you to do something stupid like not use the deadbolt on your door, not lock your car door or just leave stuff in the car like purses and wallets. Thugs love senior week, so many to prey upon!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: senior week

And most rental agencies are on the look out for "parents" renting units, saying they will stay, then not. They will be checking constantly and the first sign of a problem, out they go. Evicted, no refund. We are serious about "parties" and young people staying in rental properties. Things can easily get out of hand and the liability is great.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: senior week

Hope we didn't scare you off with the warnings. NMB is safer and less rowdy than downtown Myrtle. Little farther for them to drive to get to "the action" which can be a good or bad thing.

Part of our May trip "entertainment" is watching the groups of young adults.(high school/college) Never witnessed any rowdy behavior. Not saying it doesn't happen but just wanted to let you know there are a lot of good kids at the beach.

Early in the week we see small groups spread out along the beach.. Groups of boys and groups of girls. Just like in the movies and TV commercials it doesn't take long for the boys to start passing the football and "accidentally" find themselves in the area where the girls are sitting.

Each day the groups start sitting closer and by end of week It's one big group of dozen to two dozen young adults having a good time playing football, volleyball or frisbee. Do see an occasional beer carton but I've never seen anybody get drunk, sick or rowdy. No trash lleft behind when they leave the beach in the evening. Well behaved.

Girls seem to travel in smaller groups. Seem to get the nicer oceanfront rentals. Boys seem to get the small second and third row houses. Last year in Cherry Grove our building overlooked a house with approx ten guys in it. Very well behaved. No trash. No partys.

There are partys somewhere. Not unusual to see the girls walking down the street and over towards the houses in the evening. I've never witnessed any cops or other emergency vehicles called in.

It isn't all doom and gloom. They can have a good time as long as they realize the dangers and take precautions.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: senior week

I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade but this is not "Disneyland" there are gangs in NMB and the activity is picking up. What I see late at night in Ocean Drive section, when unfortuantely works takes me out, are young girls maybe 3 or 4 in a group walking down the dimly lit sidewalks, NOT a good idea. I am not saying that everytime they are going to find trouble, but isn't 1 too many, what if it was your daughter. You make it sound like there is nothing going on and that just isn't true. If your 18 yr old daughter is going anywhere on the Grand Strand, you need to be sure she has a clear understanding this is like anywhere else THERE IS CRIME HERE!

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: senior week

Sorry I said anything....From now on I'll keep my mouth shut and just worry about my own vacation.......

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: senior week

Pop you and I have a long history of disagreeing. All I want is for people to realize there are problems here. I am SICK TO DEATH of guests coming in and saying my car was broke into and my wallet stolen, or my condo was broken into-and I ask, did you lock the deadbolt-NO they didn't. OR my beachbag was stolen, REALLY, did you walk off and leave it sitting on the beach with no one watching it-YES. The newspaper WILL NOT post much of the negative and certainly petty theft does not warrant a full page story, but there is crime here and its because people on vacation-FORGET ALL COMMON SENSE! So I am the only one on here who says this is not the Garden of Eden-there are problems here like everywhere else. WHY because of people who don't think! So I am trying to make them think. I would NEVER leave my house without locking deadbolt, I NEVER leave my personal possession alone, not in a shopping cart, not at the pool, nowhere. I do not leave anything out in the open in my car. Don't leave your GPS, not even the cradle, in plain sight in your vehicle.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: senior week

I wish POP I had your life, where I could vacation here multiple times a year, then get in my car and leave and have that "rosey picture" of here. (but then I can't remember my last vacation. ) But I can tell you when I did only visit one or two times a year I never ever thought about the negative side. I was all about the "fun" and not ever about the "criminal element" It Never entered my mind!

Get answers to your questions about North Myrtle Beach