We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the beach clean?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
62 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Is the beach clean?

Hello! We visited Myrtle beach when I was just a child growing up. I do not remember much about it but I always here that its dirty and unattractive sand . Is this so? Im planning a trip for my own family consisting of myself, husband, and 2 young sons. Im looking for a less populated beach in the area of Myrtle and Charleston or close to that. Im not wanting to go much farther down the coast. We usually visit the Clearwater/St Pete or Anna Maria Island of Florida because we like the pristine sand and beautiful ocean. Please help me clear this up about Myrtle or steer me to one similar and less crowded because I know Myrtle is a big deal in South carolina. I dont see how it could be dirty if so many people flock there :) Thank you for any helpful advice!!! :)

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,411 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the beach clean?

Don't expect white sandy beaches. But I wouldn't say it is dirty either. When the tide comes up, it leaves much debris...seaweed, driftwood, sticks, large shells, etc. But not much litter or trash. People are pretty good about throwing away their trash at the end of the day, but you might see the occasional cigarette butt or two.

Might want to look at North Myrtle Beach. I think it is wider, cleaner and not as crowded. Avista, Bay Watch, Beach Cove, Seaside, Best Western Ocean Sands, or North Beach Plantation are some hotels worth checking out in that area.

To the south of Myrtle Beach, look at Surfside or Garden City. Much less crowded than the Myrtle Beach area, less to do as well. Summer is a busy time, with the week before and after July 4th being the most crowded.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the beach clean?

The only "dirt" I ever experienced was whatever the tide brought in. In general, there's not much in the way of litter or anything that is unsafe or unattractive. North Myrtle Beach is a good option, as well as the northern end of Myrtle Beach. Worth a look, at least. Oh, and I've stayed at Avista and had a gfreat experience.

LSH
Alburgh, Vermont
Level Contributor
624 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the beach clean?

I agree with the posts....sand is not 'white', but the beaches are certainly not dirty. We stay exclusively in North Myrtle Beach and I feel the ocean/beaches are very clean.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the beach clean?

Beaches are clean. There will be differences to be aware of. Water temps, currents, water depth all play a part.

The water is a dark green vs clear blue along FL west coast. Not polluted. Not as safe as tap water but no worse than most rivers, lakes, farm ponds. No problem swimming in it.

Sand not pristine white. Maybe if anything it has very light tan tint to it. Very fine grain. Will blow around in high wind.

The beach has a very slight slope to it that goes a good way out into water. No drop off as you walk out into surf. 50-75 yards out into water to get waist/chest deep. Small kids can venture out 50+ feet and be less than a foot deep.

Have only heard this in recent years. Don't know it as fact but several people have made same comments. The surf is different in MB compared to FL beaches. Larger waves. On a very calm day can expect 2 foot waves. Storm out at sea can kick up 4-5 foot waves in MB.

MB beaches are re-nourished every 10-15 years. Erosion pushes high tide closer and closer to the dunes that protect oceanfront property. They pump sand in from the sea to build the beach back up. Most areas have buffer stretch of soft, loose sand between dunes and high tide mark. This sand gets miserable hot in summer sun.

Common practice is to set up camp at high tide mark. Early bird gets best spot. Recent laws have banned the use of canopies in summer months and beach services put up rows of rental umbrellas taking up prime spots. Some are very upset with this. I've never had a problem..

As tide goes out people move forward. Low tide you might have 50-75 yards of flat hard packed sand to play on. Plenty of room even in most congested areas. High tide with everybody pushed back towards dunes can be pretty tight.

Even packed together you'll meet some very nice people. Can take walk down beach and leave chairs, towels, cooler,etc unattended. Total strangers will look after them. Tide comes in or wind blows stuff over total strangers will help and you do the same when shoe is on the other foot.

North Myrtle Beach has great beach services. They run equipment over beach every morning before sunrise. They rake up any debris that might wash up overnight. The seaweed mentioned in other posts is only an occasional occurrence. Depends on weather and season. Might see it. Might not. Nothing to worry about.

Great lifeguard service. Lifeguards positioned every 100-150 yards down the beach.

Might see an occasional dolphin jumping in the surf and even a shark. Sharks are rare but if and when. Lifeguards shut down all swimming until it's all clear.

Resorts mentioned above are all good choices but..........Large resorts draw larger crowds.......2-3 resorts grouped together can mean a more crowded beach.

I'd suggest something at north end of Cherry Grove in NMB. Something above Cherry Grove pier.........smaller condo buildings......Might be giving up larger pools and kiddie water attractions and some amenities but you'll have wider less congested beach.

Cherry Grove is about as far as you can get from most Grand Strand attractions. Using RT 31 to navigate up and down the coast it's not that hard to get around. Might burn a little more gas but driving time isn't that much different.

Elliott Realty

Thomas Century 21

Grand Strand Realty

Those are the three most popular rental agents in NMB. I'd search for 35th Ave north and above.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the beach clean?

I agree with Pop above. I have always found the beach clean and in MB they do mechanically rake the beach overnight. The sand is fine and easy on the feet. I think you will enjoy the area beaches. If you want to avoid crowds just head north or south of the main MB area.

Murrells Inlet...
Level Contributor
978 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the beach clean?

Agree with what PP's have said, the beach is clean. My favorite spot is Huntingdon Beach State Park. If you are into camping, you might want to check it out. Daily entrance fee can be a bit much if you don't have an annual pass or are not camping there. The beach is very wide at low tide, very clean, and generally less populated. But there is not white sand and crystal clear blue waters anywhere along the Grand Strand. We personally find the water to be pretty calm and generally safe for our 21 month old. Just to give some perspective, we traveled to Maui in May and were not overly impressed with the beaches there. We missed our "home" beach!

Again I will reiterate staying OUT of Myrtle Beach itself. The entire town is a tourist trap. My husband and I both work in Myrtle Beach but spend our free time closer to our home in Murrells Inlet. I prefer the south end but I have heard that parts of North Myrtle Beach and Cherry Grove are very nice as well.

You could look at staying at Litchfield by the Sea as well. It's the only "resort" on the south end. If we ever move away, that would probably be where we would look at staying if we come back for vacation.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,104 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the beach clean?

SC beaches have sand that is primarily made from shells that have been crushed over time by the waves. This is why it has more of a light tan color than pure white. If you are interested in the Charleston area beaches, they will be much less crowded than those in the Myrtle Beach area in general. We have a number to choose from, all are barrier islands right along the coast, you go over a bridge to get to them. Check into ~ the Isle of Palms, Sullivan's Island and Folly Beach. All of these are about 20 min from the downtown historic area of Charleston. Easy to visit some plantations, historic sites, museums, etc , if you are interested in that. They do not have a million tacky souvenir shops on every street corner, as found in Myrtle. The Isle of Palms has a gated resort on one end of the island ~ Wild Dunes Resort. Most of the island residential, about 5,000 people live here permanently, year round. Same with Folly and Sullivan's. Numerous houses to rent on each island. Beaches that are a bit further out are.... Kiawah Island and Seabrook Island, they are about 45-50 min from historic Charleston. Both are gated islands, so are secluded and not at all crowded!! Tend to be more expensive to stay for that reason. Edisto Island is about 1 hour away, also not crowded, does not offer lots of restaurants or activities. More of an old fashioned beach vacation ~ playing on the beach, playing family games in the evening, etc.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the beach clean?

Same advice as above, beaches are clean, but stay north or south of Myrtle Beach proper. I personally prefer the north side of Surfside Beach which is mostly houses and small condos. I have rented from both of these companies without issues:

http://www.surfsiderealty.com/

http://www.dunes.com/

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the beach clean?

Everyone has their opinion about where to stay. I prefer to stay north of 21st Ave on Ocean Blvd. This area will be more crowded But I like being able to walk to restaurants, bars and attractions. Others like being further away it depends on what you are looking for.

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,110 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the beach clean?

Myrtle Beach is not like Florida or the Carribean, but it is not"dirty". The sand is more powdery and teh water is more discolored than farther south, but I don't think it is dirty.