We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for Deep Sea Fishing Trips in Myrtle Beach?

Michigan
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for Deep Sea Fishing Trips in Myrtle Beach?

Hello,

My wife and I will be in Myrtle Beach the last week in October. We have been many, many times however this time we wanted to try deep sea fishing as one of our activities.

Last year in MB I went through the Voyage company to go on a half day fishing trip. We went out about 10 miles and fished for about two hours. I had fun but the type of fish we were catching wasn't any different than what you would catch on any of the piers and two hours to fish wasn't that long.

This time, my wife and I are considering a deep sea trip on one of the large party boats instead of a private charter to keep the cost down. Captain Dicks in the southern strand offers an 8 hour and an 11 hour fishing option where they take you 25-35 miles out or 45-60 miles for $84 and $99 per person. The Voyager company also offers something similar to the 11 hour trip.

My question is, is there much of a difference in going out 25-35 miles to the Continental Shelf compared to 45-60 miles out for the longer trip? Is the price of these trips worth it? As I mentioned, I have fished on a boat in the ocean before but my wife never has. Is a trip of this length okay for a new fisherman?

We have never been that far out before and were looking for a new opportunity to have the chance to catch fish that you don't see up by the shore.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated and knowing the kind of fish that are out there in late October would be great too!

Edited: 11:41 am, August 19, 2014
Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for Deep Sea Fishing Trips in Myrtle Beach?

Take the longer trip as it should go all the way out to the Gulf Stream where the fishing is better. Personally I deplore party boats and would just as soon not fish at all as to go out on one. Another thing to consider is the 11hr trip is a very long day especially if someone gets sea sick. Pier fishing, in my opinion, is dead. There may be a few times a year when migratory species are running and you can catch something more than sand sharks and spots if you're lucky. Our last trip that we went fishing we opted for the near shore/inlet trip which was quite productive for us. We caught several flounder and red drum before moving out to catch some nice 3ft sharks (I believe they were small Lemon sharks). It was very nice having just our little group on the boat and not having to deal with a bunch of people with no clue what they are doing. Of course the best of the best is the all day private charter, which we have done as well, but it's very pricey for just 2 people or a small group. We've always gone out of Capt. Dick's (now Wicked Sisters).

Michigan
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for Deep Sea Fishing Trips in Myrtle Beach?

Thanks for the reply.

The large party boats don't bother me because I think it's a trade off. You still get good fishing with a crew helping you at a fraction of the cost of a private charter. I by no means am an expert fisherman but the prior times I was on them I enjoyed it.

Do you think that going in late October will be a good time to fish? I'm guessing it won't be as crowded as the middle of summer.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
418 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for Deep Sea Fishing Trips in Myrtle Beach?

Never been out in MB that time of year. I also just realized I said Wicked Sister and it's Crazy Sister Marina. You can call the marinas and ask how the fishing is that time of year or surely someone else will post that has experience with late October.

4. Re: Advice for Deep Sea Fishing Trips in Myrtle Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 21, 2015