We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pvt Resort Rentals: Caravelle vs Sand Dunes vs Atlantica vs

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Pvt Resort Rentals: Caravelle vs Sand Dunes vs Atlantica vs

I've decided to forgo staying with a hotel. I know I can use DH as a last resort. I've discovered on the same budget, I can get a beachfront condo that sleeps 6. We're ok without daily maid service, and would rather have more space.

I've been using VRBO and HomeAway to find suitable rentals. I've found quite a few. Alas, the reviews for the resorts those rentals are located in are not the greatest. I'm taking everything with a grain of salt since it seems most of the reviews are for rooms that were rented through and managed by the resort. So now my questions come down to resort amenities.

Caravelle? Sand Dunes? Atlantica? Island Vista? Sands Ocean Club? What are the opinions of the grounds, the pools, the beach access, cleanliness of common areas, convenience to restaurants, etc?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,006 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pvt Resort Rentals: Caravelle vs Sand Dunes vs Atlantica vs

Of those you listed I have only stayed at Island Vista. It is a gorgeous hotel, with the cleanest grounds and common areas I have seen. It is not a large resort at all, but does have good (if a bit small) pools (indoor and outdoor) and they have a summer program for kiddo's as well. (don't know what it is though) But...there is nothing to walk to at all. It sits by itself with residential areas all around. Nice and quite and not crowded. Which....I like! But stores and resturants and everything else is a very easy, short drive from there. They do have a wonderful restaurant on-site..you get a voucher for it too...I think it is $10 per night that you stay.

For a hotel within walking distance to the Boardwalk and shops and resturants....the Atlantica fits that bill. Gets good reviews too. Going to be a crowded area though. Caravelle is pretty good, not sure what there is to walk to. Maybe just a couple of resturants. It is north of Island Vista. Sands Ocean Club is a big resort that is inbetween Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach. The popular Ocean Annies Bar is there. Probably has lots of good amenities for the kids too. Easy drive to everything too.

Sand Dunes.....NO!.

Hopefully other people that have stayed at these resorts will chime in with their opinions, because mine probably didn't help much...lol (except SD!)

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pvt Resort Rentals: Caravelle vs Sand Dunes vs Atlantica vs

We've stayed at the Caravelle the last two years and found the place to be well-kept with good amenities. We rented once from the resort and once through VRBO. There is an on-site restaurant there and at a few of the nearby resorts (Long Bay, for example). You can walk to a River City Cafe (casual dining) and a Starbucks. It's in a fairly quiet area, away from the Boardwalk. As beachlady says,other things are a short, easy drive away.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pvt Resort Rentals: Caravelle vs Sand Dunes vs Atlantica vs

That's a shame about Sand Dunes! The private condos I was looking at look really nice and well kept, and the prices are SO low. But I guess they're low for a reason, right? The grounds are that bad, eh? Ah well, pictures can be deceiving!!! There are several at Caravelle that seem right up our ally!

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pvt Resort Rentals: Caravelle vs Sand Dunes vs Atlantica vs

I like the amenities at the Caravelle, however, Island Vista is one of the top resorts in MB. The only negative for some people is the fact that you can not walk to anything offsite.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pvt Resort Rentals: Caravelle vs Sand Dunes vs Atlantica vs

After looking around... I'm sold on Caravelle. (Although I've said this about the other hotels before too! HA! I just need to BOOK and stop changing my mind. Though this one looks to be PERFECT!)

ncpat, was either experience better than the other? Any extra perks with either? Would you mind sharing which privately rented unit you stayed in?

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,006 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pvt Resort Rentals: Caravelle vs Sand Dunes vs Atlantica vs

Caravelle would be my 2nd pick over IV. Nice location, not too crowded, a couple of resturants to walk to. We ate at that River City Café once. Good food, perfect place for kids.

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pvt Resort Rentals: Caravelle vs Sand Dunes vs Atlantica vs

I'm booked with a private owner at Caravelle! Yay!

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pvt Resort Rentals: Caravelle vs Sand Dunes vs Atlantica vs

Congratulations! Have an awesome vacation!

9. Re: Pvt Resort Rentals: Caravelle vs Sand Dunes vs Atlantica vs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, May 02, 2015