We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caravelle or Monterey Bay - what is your pick and why?

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
355 posts
485 reviews
Save Topic
Caravelle or Monterey Bay - what is your pick and why?

Trying to decide between the Caravelle and Monterey Bay - they are close - a building apart - so, same area/beach. Caravelle has a better rating on here than Monterey Bay. But, I like some of the unit layouts better at MB - (angle oceanfront suite D). The Caravelle angle oceanview rooms all look upgraded and nicer perhaps.

in reading some of negative reviews for MB - I am wondering about management and parking issues along w/ cleansiness.

but, Caravelle doesn't seem to have as big of an indoor pool area?

HELP!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caravelle or Monterey Bay - what is your pick and why?

Haven't stayed at Monterey Bay, but have been to Caravelle and are returning again this year (week between Christmas and New Years). The units we've stayed in were nice and the resort well run. You are correct that it doesn't have as large an indoor pool area. Hubby swims daily and often used the indoor/outdoor pool at one of the adjacent resort buildings (St Clements?) since the pool at the tower was often crowded. Last winter the outdoor water features were under renovation, so can't comment on them. We were told that some of them were heated in the off season. If you're travelling with children, I'd call and check on that. If I were travelling with children in the off season, I'd probably give Monterey Bay a shot because it has more indoor water features to keep them happy. Also offers free breakfast. You can also take a walk over to Caravelle while you are down here and try to plan for your next visit.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caravelle or Monterey Bay - what is your pick and why?

Stayed at Monteray Bay and Caravelle and I prefer Monteray Bay. The room we had was nicer and much larger and it wasn't near as crowded at the pool area at Caravelle.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caravelle or Monterey Bay - what is your pick and why?

I really like the amenities at the Caravelle from the pools, Tiki Bar, Fitness room, onsite restaurant, mini mart,etc. I was in an angle room and it was a very nice layout.

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caravelle or Monterey Bay - what is your pick and why?

We've stayed at both several times, and both are nice properties. However, we prefer Monterey Bay because the rooms are bigger (all suites), they have more pools, they have a free hot breakfast every day, and the prices are lower. I do like the outdoor bar at the Caravelle better, but overall Monterey Bay has fit our family's needs much better.

Edited: 12:47 pm, November 04, 2013
Conway, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Caravelle or Monterey Bay - what is your pick and why?

I like the room layouts better at MB. Parking is kind of tight but other than that I prefer MB

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,667 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caravelle or Monterey Bay - what is your pick and why?

From what I have heard I would choose Monterey Bay,And if you choose Caravelle Resort do not take a 1 bed unit in the St Clements building,very tiny.

7. Re: Caravelle or Monterey Bay - what is your pick and why?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, November 09, 2014