We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going around Florence, SC

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
152 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Going around Florence, SC

Hey all! We will be driving down in October from Indianapolis. I think I've chosen to take the route to/from Columbia, SC (75/40, etc). My question is that mapquest has the route going from I-20, to I-95, then down and around Florence to 76. Is that really needed? It looks like it is 5 miles shorter to just go straight through Florence and not mess with I-95. I hate that highway. Any reason to avoid Florence?? Is it like a vacation travel Bermuda Triangle??!!

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Florence
Florence
South Carolina
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
indiana
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going around Florence, SC

You should take that route, a time saver. Also, depending on where you are staying, it might be worth taking I-22 around Conway.

Mentioned in this post
Conway
Conway
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
160 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going around Florence, SC

We have always drove straight through Florence instead of getting on 95. We never hit much traffic at all. Plus we seem to make a stop at a mall right after u cross 95 in to Florence to take a stroll to stretch our legs before the final leg of the drive into MB. This especially if we a running a little early.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
South Carolina
charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going around Florence, SC

Been years since we've been on RT 20 but always followed the "To Myrtle Beach " signs around Florence. Went through town one time and hit every stoplight. Might depend on time of day for traffic.

Up I 95 to RT 327 only takes a few minutes. Right off the exit is travel plaza and couple fast food places for that last rest stop before the beach.

If you are going to north end of Myrtle or NMB and take RT 22. Should be a Hardees in Aynor. Unless RT 22 has seen some development in last few years there are no facilities the last 30 miles to the beach. Hit Hardees before taking RT 22.

Mentioned in this post
Myrtle Beach
Myrtle Beach
Florence
Florence
South Carolina
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
152 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going around Florence, SC

Thanks all. Sounds like the by-pass is due to usual in town stop lights. Yes, we'll be going to NMB, Cherry Grove area, so will take the Rt22 by-pass around Conway. I'll keep an eye out for that Hardee's. If all goes well, we should be hitting the Florence area around 1 or 2pm - so will probably go ahead and take the by-pass route. Thanks again!!

Mentioned in this post
Conway
Conway
Florence
Florence
South Carolina
charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going around Florence, SC

Couple other twists you might consider. At end of RT 22. Instead of running it into RT 17. Just before the end will Be RT 31. Run it north up to next exit. Robert Edge. Straight out to Main Street in Ocean Drive. Out Main to oceanfront and then left on Ocean Blvd.. Next stoplight (1 1/2 mile) on Ocean Blvd will be Cherry Grove.

Another. Can't say it saves time. The way we went before RT 22/31 were up and running. At Marion. Instead of following RT 501. We stayed on RT 76 across through Mullins and into Nichols where we hit RT 9. RT 9 dead ends at Cherry Grove. Either way there's not a couple miles difference.

Where are you staying? Checking in at Realtor or at the resort?

Edited: 11:12 pm, August 21, 2013
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
152 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going around Florence, SC

Yes - mapquest also suggests using Rt 31 instead of Rt 17, and takes it across the Robert Edge Pkwy.

I wondered about jumping over to Rt 9. Mapquest put it at 1 mile shorter, but 10 minutes longer. Maybe several stop lights through Marion and Mullins?? Might consider that route if we are early and need to eat up some time before check in.

we'll be at Kings View Villas. Check in will be at the condo.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going around Florence, SC

I do the drive down from Chicago 3 times a year, definitely use the 22 Conway bypass to 31n, but you can take 31 to 9 and go east back to 17 at cherry grove or sea mountain hwy which goes through cherry grove.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Conway
Conway
charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going around Florence, SC

LOL....Actually a third route we used in the past. On up I 95 to RT 34 and over to RT 9. We used all three routes at one time or another. One going in. Another one coming out. Was never more than a mile or two difference in any of them. It was 500 miles from our driveway to stoplight in Cherry Grove every trip no matter which route we took.

Which one was faster we never figured out. Use the same route two trips and would have different drive time each trip.

Cherry Grove is our home away from home. Will be there first week of Oct. Any other questions about the area just ask.

9. Re: Going around Florence, SC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach