We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible honeymoon?

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Possible honeymoon?

My fiance' and I will be taking our honeymoon in October and are considering the MB area. We were hoping for something beachy and authentic, where we can get a taste of local culture (and local food, ha!) and truly experience the atmosphere--- as opposed to something very tourist-oriented. The idea of an East Coast, low country vacation is very appealing to us, but seeing as how we aren't familiar with the area at all, we're looking for an experienced voice. MB looks beautiful, but how "touristy" is it? What are some ideas for things to do that locals would do? Thanks in advance!

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,662 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible honeymoon?

MB is pretty "touristy", maybe less so in the fall and winter. Take a look at Isle of Palms, Mount Pleasant , and even further south to St Simons. October can be a bit chilly, so the further south you are, the better to have warmer weather for the beach.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible honeymoon?

Myrtle Beach is lots of fun; but, other beach areas - closer to Charleston or to Savannah - tick more of your boxes and will be more romantic.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,444 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible honeymoon?

If you look in Webster's, the picture beside "touristy" is Myrtle Beach. It's a great place for a family vacation, but IMO there are better honeymoon choices along the SC coast. Charleston is a wonderfully romantic city and would be tops on my list. If beachy is a must, check out Folly Beach or Sullivan's Island. Don't worry about what the locals do. Coastal towns are built on making visitors happy, so just do all the fun, touristy things. Besides, visitors have more fun than locals anyway. <:-)

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,546 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible honeymoon?

Even though it is much less crowded in October, it sounds like MB is not the place for you! Just driving thru it in October you would see just how touristy it is! Head further south a bit...like Charleston, SC or Savannah or even Amelia Island, FL.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible honeymoon?

I enjoy Myrtle, but I have to go with th eherd on this one: Look a little closer at Outer Banks (NC) Charleston/Hilton Head, Savannah/St. Simons Island or even Sanibel Island Florida.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible honeymoon?

If you go as far south as Sanibel, you might enjoy Captiva even more.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible honeymoon?

The Charleston area might be the place for you, depending upon your budget, check out The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island (or possibly a villa, instead), Isle of Palms or Folly beach.

Plenty to do from outdoor activities, to historical tours, lots of walking and gawking and some of the best food options you'll find anywhere.

Read through the Top Questions on the Charleston page for more ideas.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible honeymoon?

Thanks SO MUCH to ALL OF YOU! All of your opinions have been VERY helpful, thanks souch for being honest. I'll definitely look into these other options.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible honeymoon?

Please let us know what you decide, we like to know if we have helped, indeed!!!

10. Re: Possible honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 29, 2014