We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is driving route 74 through SC?

Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
How is driving route 74 through SC?

So google maps directs to get from the Greensboro, NC area to Murrells Inlet, I should take 74 to 38 to 501 to 544, ect.

To avoid the 501/544 traffic, I could also stay on 74 to 410 to 9 to 17, and it should only be 15 minutes longer.

Would this alternate route be worth avoiding 501 and 544 on a Saturday? Could anyone tell me the traffic conditions on 74 south through SC? Would the time I saved avoiding 501/544 be lost again on 17?

We hope to arrive Saturday before noon, but we're traveling with kids so who knows...

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is driving route 74 through SC?

Staying on SR-9 will put you on the far North side. US-17 can sometimes take a long time to travel, if you do decide to go that route, I would suggest taking SR-31 rather than US-17.

However, I would suggest a route such as this: http://goo.gl/maps/1Yeht Following this route, traffic should be good most of the way. You would stay off the US-501 main route through Conway and shouldn't see slow traffic till the Intercoastal Waterway crossing on SR-544 and by this time, you are almost there...

With no traffic, that is showing as 4hours. I suggest waking early and hitting the road asap. Leaving at 06:00 and getting to 544 around 10:00 will make traffic on 544 much less than if you get there around noon.

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is driving route 74 through SC?

Just to clarify, 74 does not go through SC--it's in NC only.

But to your question, if you're going to Murrells Inlet I'd suggest taking 74 to 410, then staying on 410/701 to Conway, SC, i.e., don't turn onto SC 9 at all. 410 takes you into the heart of downtown Conway, then you'll get on 501 but it's only for about 2 miles to the 544 intersection. We've taken this route a number of times, and it's well worth it on Saturdays when the 501 traffic is at its peak. The stretch of 501 that you'll be on moves well enough since you're past Conway (whose traffic lights are a major contributor to the backups).

For another shortcut, take a right off of 544 onto SC 707 at Socastee, then take McDowell Shortcut Rd. which cuts off a section of 707 (see map). This will take you right into MI while avoiding the backups on 17 at Surfside and Garden City.

charleston, wv
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is driving route 74 through SC?

Few weeks ago a new stretch of road opened up out of Winston Salem. Chances are it isn't showing up on Google yet. Off of I 40 just east of Winston Salem should be exit for RT 311. Cuts across diagonal to just below Asheboro. Eliminates driving through Greensboro and cuts off some time.

Not 100% sure how it compares to the other suggestions but the RT 74 route is mostly four lane. Only two lane is the 20+ mile RT 410 stretch and it moves at a pretty good clip. A few stoplights along RT 74 but nothing that ties up traffic. Speed limit varies between 55-70.

Also RT 410 intersects with RT 701 just before Tabor City. Turn right and couple miles south will put you on RT 9.

Using the RT 74 route you should take RT 31 to avoid traffic and stoplights on RT17. RT 31 is straight four lane from one end of Grand Strand to the other. Parallels RT 17.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
761 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is driving route 74 through SC?

I just printed off some directions from PA the other day and it does put you on the new 311 from 40 to 74/220 (I was impressed). If you are going to North Myrtle Beach, it actually takes you a route that avoids 501. The people of Google must be listening!!!

yo. oh
Level Contributor
305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is driving route 74 through SC?

Since the OP is going to MI - my vote is with arbyunc's route

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is driving route 74 through SC?

It really doesn't matter if you take Rt to Rt 31 or continue on to Conway. I prefer Rt 9 because the possibility of hitting traffic is less.

ohio
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is driving route 74 through SC?

Thank you everyone for the driving suggestions. We decided to take 410 all the way to 501. We arrived in MI at 1:00. Traffic was heavy, but not crawling except for the first few miles on 410. We left from Archdale, NC. With traffic, the route we took was a total of 60 minutes longer (15 for the extra distance and 45 for traffic). I'm not sure if the route we took was for better or worse, but we were never sitting in traffic and inching our way forward. We took arbyunc's directions to avoid 17... so grateful for those! Thanks again for the help. We had a great time. Hopefully we'll return and test some new routes.

Edited: 11:51 pm, July 21, 2013
8. Re: How is driving route 74 through SC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach