We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good economical place to stay right AFTER Labor Day?

Upstate, South...
Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Good economical place to stay right AFTER Labor Day?

I'm looking forward to taking a vacation September 3 - 8, going down on Tuesday AFTER Labor Day and staying until that Sunday. I've found it is a great time to go because the huge crowds have just left from the Labor Day weekend, but there are still some people enjoying vacations.

What is a good economical place to stay during this week? 2 years ago I stayed at the Westgate Resort, which was decent enough for me, a single guy just needing somewhere to sleep after playing around in the ocean all day or after a day of golf. I'm not a partier, so I'd just like to know what your recommendations are for a good place to stay for $400 or less. Ocean view would be nice but not an absolute.

Thanks as always for your help! I'm a South Carolina native so I know about the area, but I'm interested to see what your insight might be.

Barry

KK4RXN

Jeremiah 29:11-13 / John 3:16

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good economical place to stay right AFTER Labor Day?

When I needed a place to stay for 1 night I booked an updated room in the Caravelle Tower. Eveerything in the room was new and it was at a great price. I wrote a review on it,however, it all depends if you get an updated room. The area is great not to busy and not to quiet. Its oceanview and you can walk to several resturants and bars.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good economical place to stay right AFTER Labor Day?

The Long Bay and Monterey Bay are in the same area as the Caravelle and also have rooms in about the same price range. Another option is the Beach Colony which is a little further south - has some ocean view rooms which are a bit cheaper. All of the hotels are in a good area - not too busy but not too quiet. Beach Colony has very little within walking distance, unless you like to walk!

Upstate, South...
Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good economical place to stay right AFTER Labor Day?

I'll check those out.

Anybody else have some insight?

Barry

KK4RXN

Upstate, South...
Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good economical place to stay right AFTER Labor Day?

Long Bay looks to be full that week...

I see Compass Cove is only $72 a night, and it has a 4.2 rating. Anybody know about it?

Barry

KK4RXN

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good economical place to stay right AFTER Labor Day?

I looked at Grande Shores. It's at the northern most end of Myrtle Beach. A very nice location! $380 for your 5 nights. Ocean view, 2 queen beds.

Upstate, South...
Level Contributor
34 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good economical place to stay right AFTER Labor Day?

Grande Shores doesn't look too bad - $403 (plus all their crazy taxes) on Booking.com for ocean view and a kitchenette. Pretty good! Have you stayed there?

Barry

KK4RXN

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good economical place to stay right AFTER Labor Day?

My neighbors have stayed there twice and they loved it. We have stayed right next door at Carolina Winds. We love that area.I am looking at their website, not booking.com. If you have AAA or AARP its $380 with kitchenette. Even if you don't that those, they still might honor that rate.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
574 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good economical place to stay right AFTER Labor Day?

Compass Cove isn't a bad place. You'll be on the southern tip of the strand though, which may or may not be an issue for you. The resort itself isn't too bad, and certainly a good value.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good economical place to stay right AFTER Labor Day?

Wanting to do something special for our 39th wedding anniversary.What is Myrtle Beach like around mid to late Oct.?

Flying out of Toronto will cost around $800.- for the 2 of us.

(Maybe we should do a cruise?)

What is the drive like? Is it doable when you only have 7 days of vacation time?

Would Virginia be a better choice?

( I want to make it to the 40th. LOL)

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,873 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good economical place to stay right AFTER Labor Day?

muttilein, you should always start a new thread when asking new questions.

But.......MB is still very nice in mid to late Oct. Great rates, good weather. The drive is very doable as MANY Torontonians do it all the time. A Virginia beach would still be about the same driving time. Beckley, WV is a good and popular halfway point.

Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach