We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place for a girl's weekend in September?

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
168 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Good place for a girl's weekend in September?

Three of us in our mid-30s were trying to pick a destination for early September. We're from Chicago and was considering Myrtle Beach. Is this a good destination or more for families? Where should we stay for nightlife and action if we were to come? Any suggestions on hotels? Thanks very much!

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good place for a girl's weekend in September?

MB is great and Sept is the best time because the kids are back in school and the air and water temps are warm. You should stay in resorts that will allow you to walk to many bars, restuarants and attractions. First on my list would be The Anderson Club, its more geared for adults the only negative are the pools are small Also look at The Breakers, Camelot and my favorite The Caribbean. Go online and look up Broadway at the Beach which is a great destinationh lots of bars and clubs and its a very short cab ride away only 1.5 miles.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
168 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good place for a girl's weekend in September?

This is great info!!! Thanks so much!!

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Good place for a girl's weekend in September?

Hotel Blue has a "vegas" style pool party, I think they continue into september, might be worth checking out. looks like a wild time.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
61 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good place for a girl's weekend in September?

I would check out Charleston instead of Myrtle Beach personally. Myrtle Beach has much better beaches but you can't beat the nightlife and restuarants in Charleston.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good place for a girl's weekend in September?

If you are checking out Hotel Blue read the reviews carefully. It seems that many of the good reviews are by new people with 1 ort 2 reviews which lead you to believe that the resort is solicitating reviews. Even with that said the reviews are not very good.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good place for a girl's weekend in September?

You might consider the North Beach Plantation also. It is located in the city of North Myrtle Beach and is one of the most upscale properties in the area. It was opened in 2009 so it's also the newest resort. The pool complex with a swim up pool bar is unmatched and the location is good, with Barefoot Landing just across the way. There is also a really nice spa, Cinzia Spa, and a fitness center at NBP. You would not be able to walk to many things from this location, but there is plenty to do within a close range. There is a really nice restaurant/bar on site called 21 Main and there are other restaurants to walk to as well....Joe's Bar and Grill, Olive Garden, Hamburger Joe's, and the Cracker Barrel. Barefoot Landing has lots of shopping, dining, and entertainment, including the Alabama Theatre. Again, you would likely need or want a car (or opt for a taxi/limo service) if you choose this resort.

The other recommendations of the Anderson, Breakers and Caribbean are all good options as well...if you really decide you want to be in the middle of everything. Enjoy your vacation and hope you give the Grand Strand area a try!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good place for a girl's weekend in September?

Can't believe someone suggested Charleston.Nice for 2 days perhaps but not for a week.

Both lenk and NMBlover have given very good advice with reasons to back it up.

It irks me though when someone would get on a Myrtle Beach forum and try to build up Charleston.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good place for a girl's weekend in September?

There is usually a great beach bar scene at Ocean Annie's in the northern section of Myrtle Beach. There are condos attached to Ocean Annie's but they might be "a little too close to the action." Instead, I would stay at Kingston Plantation or one of the other complexes that is within walking distance. Kingston has 2 great hotels, an Embassy Suites and a Hilton, and both have their own beach bars with live music as well. Between the two, I would pick the ES because the rooms are true suites, the whole hotel has recently been remodeled, and you get a great free breakfast. Or you could also choose to stay at one of their 5 oceanfront condo towers. You also get access to a fantastic sport & health club and a professional spa. Kingston is located in the same general area as the North Beach Plantation, recommended above, but is a bit closer to downtown MB.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,409 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good place for a girl's weekend in September?

I think botht NBP or Kingston Planatation have the nicest accomodations in the area,however, you will be very limited in what is within walking distance. Sept is not overly crowded and if you want to be able to walk to many different restaurants, bars and clubs then these areas are not for you.

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
61 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good place for a girl's weekend in September?

Hey TONYMIK - just because I am on the Myrtle Beach forum doesn't mean it has to be strictly about Myrtle Beach. We are actually heading to MB next week for our family vacation but as a 30 something year old and if I was going on a girls weekend then I stated my opinion which would be Charleston. That is my opinion and this is an open forum so I can post what I want.

Get over it.