We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering MB for first time, single female?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Considering MB for first time, single female?

I'm considering MB for a beach trip this summer. I'm a 40-something female who would be traveling solo. I've never been there so don't know a thing about the area. Looking for about 5 days of relaxing on the beach. I'd be looking for beachfront lodging, hopefully with a beach bar (or within walking distance to one), and within walking distance or short taxi ride to dining/shopping, etc., in a safe area. Not looking to be near big clubs for nightlife, but would love to be able to hit a more laid back bar for a drink and socializing in the early evenings. Suggestions?

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
467 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering MB for first time, single female?

Sounds like the perfect vacation to me. I would love to do a vacation alone. And MB would be where I would go. Mainly, because I am familiar with the area. I go there 3-4 times a year. You should look into staying around 21st and North Ocean Blvd. I always stay at the Camelot by the Sea. There are plenty of restaurants to walk to and a few bars.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering MB for first time, single female?

Check out the Anderson Club which is geared more for adults. Very nice accomodations, onsite spa and within walking distanec to many restaurants, bars and attractions. Its at the northern end of the strip so its less crowded then the resorts further south. If you would like to be a little further removed check out Island Vista which is a great resort with all the amenities onsite,however, you will not be able to walk to anything but it's a short drive since it's about 3 miles north of The Anderson Club.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
172 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering MB for first time, single female?

I did my first solo trip to MB three years ago and loved it! I stayed at the Long Bay Resort - has a couple restaurants on site and a Starbucks. Also has a River City Cafe next door for great burgers and drinks (cute outside bar!). You might want to consider towards the boardwalk area more. I drove from MI, so I had my car and that probably made it a lot easier - I could drive out to Barefoot Landing and Broadway @ the Beach for shopping -- drove down to Pawley's Island for a day. Go and have fun - I was nervous, but it turned into one of my favorite vacations!

Mentioned in this post
Barefoot Landing
Barefoot Landing
3,186 Reviews
North Myrtle Beach, SC
North Myrtle Beach...
Level Contributor
12 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering MB for first time, single female?

I know youre looking at the MB area but I would suggest the NMB area as it is a little bit more mellow in the summer months and much less crowded. If you stay in the cherry grove area there are a few restaurants and bars within walking distance but not much shopping. Stay around Main street and you have some shopping, and food and bars.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
88 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering MB for first time, single female?

Thank you all for the suggestions! Basketscrapper and micountrygal, I actually love to travel alone, and have only done one "big" trip solo...to Mexico. Like bs I had been there many times and was familiar with the area and it was the best vacation! (There's something to be said for having a hotel room all to yourself and being on your own schedule!) I haven't decided to definitely do MB yet but if I take a trip I think it will be my destination. We have direct flights which makes it even nicer. I will look into all of your suggestions. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Halifax, nova scotia
Level Contributor
148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering MB for first time, single female?

Hey....Did you end up going? I am heading there in August and would love some advice bc I am looking for exactly what you described in your first post. :)

7. Re: Considering MB for first time, single female?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 24, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach