We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SC concealed/carry ?

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
617 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
SC concealed/carry ?

Let me start off by saying I know the smart thing to do here would be to make sure the weapon comes out of the car before the golf clubs go in, and that is certainly my intention. But, for the sake of argument, let's say that for whatever reason it slips my mind. Then, let's say I get stopped by highway patrol, county, or city law enforcement and they want to take a quick look inside my car. I do have a valid NC concealed/carry permit and the firearm in question is 100% legal and registered. What is the worst that can happen? I have researched this already and gotten conflicting information regarding reciprocating permits and non resident status. Speaking in hypotheticals here, as I said earlier: I certainly plan on exercising due dilligence to NOT have said weapon..but wondering what worst case scenario might be.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
291 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: SC concealed/carry ?

Lots of bad, or weak advice here.

NC permit is legal and accepted in South Carolina. SC does not currently allow "open" carry, so keep it concealed. But, no reason to not take it. Take your permit, and make sure you have NC official identification (Drivers' License).

Believe it or not, South Carolina is a perfectly law abiding, modern, state. If "Barney Fife" pulls you over (not going to happen, Barney was a North Carolina deputy) and violates the STATE law, you will sue the county/city and win. And he knows it. Take a copy of the law, if you are scared. His supervisor will apologize if there is any problem.

SC does NOT issue permits to non-residents, unless they own land in SC (so no getting a permit from that state).

In SC, "No Weapons" signs DO have the force of law, but must conform to the statute for size/type/lettering, etc.

SC is a MUST INFORM state. You must tell a law officer, if approached, that you are carrying (you should be used to that, same as in NC).

See the list, similar but NOT identical to NC of places where you cannot carry:

. Courts, Government offices, etc.

. NO carry in restaurants that serve alcohol (ala NC).

etc.

For SC specific regulations, much like NC, see this PDF:

www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

For other states, where you may want to go, this is probably the best (and most up-to-date) reference, merely click on the map on the state you plan to visit:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Consider, too, asking this same question in a forum consisting of people who have gun permits, more than those who are travel oriented. See:

www.carolinashootersclub.com/forum.php?

although this website seems to be experiencing trouble today.

Edited: 11:36 am, April 01, 2013
Mentioned in this post
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
Greenville, South...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: SC concealed/carry ?

Finally a good response! There is reciprocity with NC and SC. No need to have it in trunk, carry it. If you have it in car with you but not concealed, keep it in glove box or console, doesn't have to be locked. Unlike NC, you DO NOT carry it out in the open in the vehicle.

Lastly, if the cop asks you to do something, do it. They (mostly) are just trying to be safe and do their job.

Have a good visit!

13. Re: SC concealed/carry ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, November 11, 2013
Myrtle Beach, South...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: SC concealed/carry ?

As long as you gun is in a glove box or trunk, you are within the law in SC. Permit or not.

www.sled.sc.gov/SCStateGunLaws1.aspx…

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver’s license, registration, or proof of insurance;

15. Re: SC concealed/carry ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 12, 2014