We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

really good BBQ between here and Lake Marion

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
608 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
really good BBQ between here and Lake Marion

Hi all! We will be traveling from the Myrtle Beach Airport to Lake Marion on a Sunday evening and are craving really great, authentic smokehouse BBQ. There are so many that it's hard to know where to go! We've been to The Pit in Raleigh and didn't want to leave if that helps with our taste preference. I saw Sticky Fingers and that looks good but again, needing a little guidance. Also finding that Sundays are in question of being open at alot of places which is why we aren't eating at Sweatmans near the lake :( Any help is welcome, thanks ahead!

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: really good BBQ between here and Lake Marion

Hey Daddio -

Down South, BBQ is very much a regional thing, and "real" BBQ depends a lot on where you're from. Most of NE SC uses a thin, vinegar and red pepper sauce, which is also used throughout most of Eastern NC. It's not always over the top spicy, depending on the cook's tastes. Prosser's is a typical, although not the best example. My personal preference is western NC sauce, usually called "dip", which is a thin ketchup-vinegar based sauce with a little kick to it, as well as the sweetness from the ketchup.

Parts of SC have a disgusting habit of using a mustard based sauce. IMO, an insult to both good BBQ and to mustard. :-) Memphis BBQ tends to be a sweeter, thicker sauce, akin to much of the stuff you can buy in grocery stores. It can be good stuff on ribs, but not my BBQ preference. Most MB "BBQ" restaurants are guilty of the worst sin of all. They cook the pork in an oven with liquid smoke, and then offer you a variety of sauces to dump on it. There ought to be laws against calling that BBQ.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: really good BBQ between here and Lake Marion

Stop that, Sunshine!! :-)

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
608 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: really good BBQ between here and Lake Marion

Wow thanks for all the great ideas! I have looked at Scotts. We will be fishing in Santee at the lakes for 4 days and then a day at Charleston and 4 days at Pawleys Island. Maybe what we could do is get to Scotts when it's open, it sounds like it is worth waiting for. We had already planned to eat at Lone Star just cuz it looks so unique and has good reviews so that's a plus. The vinegar style we ate at the Pit was outstanding but we want to try whatever the style is in this area, we are all about culture :)

*Sunshine our route will be along the coast through Pawleys and Georgetown and west from there to Eutawville.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: really good BBQ between here and Lake Marion

Pawleysdude..... great minds think alike! :-)

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
608 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: really good BBQ between here and Lake Marion

I would be willing to change our route to accomodate Browns if they are open on Sunday. Can't find a websight to find out though.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: really good BBQ between here and Lake Marion

Brown's won't be open on Sunday.

Here's an intelligent article about SC's different BBQs. Just skim past the politics.

capitalnewyork.com/article/…

You can also check out SC Barbecue Association.

(And Sandlapper has nothing to do with eating dirt. Those were clay-eaters. That sort of dietary deficiency is mostly a thing of the past, though you still see dry laundry starch in the staples section of stores in poor neighborhoods.)

Edited: 8:40 pm, February 10, 2013
Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: really good BBQ between here and Lake Marion

Scott's is worth the roadtrip, for the experience as much as the BBQ. It's a different world from The Pit in Raleigh. southernliving.com/travel/…

I think Brown's is open for lunch on Sunday but not dinner. I could be wrong. No website, but the phone is 843-382-2753.

If you're still cravin' BBQ while you're in Pawleys, check out Hog Heaven, a couple miles South of Pawleys. It's a buffet and their BBQ is pretty good. Their fried chicken, sweet potatoes and mac&cheese are excellent. http://www.hogheaveninc.com/

Just for kicks, here's a good guide to SC BBQ restaurants. (I agree with some 'em, not so much others) http://top100bbq.com/

Hope y'all have a good trip.

Edited: 8:43 pm, February 10, 2013
Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,598 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: really good BBQ between here and Lake Marion

People also actually use powdered laundry starch. Some to make spray starch and it can also be used to make fabric very stiff when using the fabric in certain crafts. Some people do eat it too tho. Pica is a condition where people eat weird, unhealthy things ~ I have seen reports of people eating starch, dirt, chalk, laundry soap, etc. Despite being aware that it is damaging, they say they have an unbearable compulsion. Very Strange!

Eat barbeque instead. :-D

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
608 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: really good BBQ between here and Lake Marion

Thanks everyone! Scott's it is! The articles were very helpful :)

The starch thing is very intriguing but I'll stick to BBQ too!

20. Re: really good BBQ between here and Lake Marion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 12, 2014