We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

PA
6 posts
Save Topic
Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

Hi, We are planning a trip the week of labor day to Myrtle. I have come to Myrtle every year for over 20 years but took a break for a few and came back last year. For those 20 years we always stayed in the Carolina Winds/76th ave n area of Myrtle Beach in small private condos. I loved the location, but the beach was too crowded. We stayed at Lands End Resort in North Myrtle and I did not really care for it. The beach was nice but the resort was too big and not as clean as we would have liked. This year we are considering a home in Garden City or a condo at North Beach Plantation. Mainly in our group we spend the entire day and early evening on the beach and head out a few times here and there, but we have two members that like to be on the go and everywhere every day so we are trying to find middle ground. Any suggestions? Also for all my years at Myrtle I've never been to Garden CIty/Surfside area. Is it nice, clean? I keep thinking since it is south its going to look like the area in the Strand and in South Myrtle, will it?

Thank you!

Oh on another note, how crowded is labor day in Myrtle? We were coming in Sunday of labor day weekend to Sunday.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

"Also for all my years at Myrtle I've never been to Garden CIty/Surfside area. Is it nice, clean? I keep thinking since it is south its going to look like the area in the Strand and in South Myrtle, will it?"

I really like the north side of Surfside Beach (between 3rd Ave N and 14th Ave N). It is not a party area and is known as the family beach consisting of mostly smaller condos and houses. (There is a Holiday Inn at 17th Ave N and an ex-Day's Inn at 1st Ave S.) They keep the beach clean and there are life guards most of the day. FYI: I like to go and do things and I have no problem driving to Georgetown or North Myrtle Beach from Surfside.

My inlaws like the south end of Garden City...

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,390 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

While there are resorts and hotels in both Surfside and Garde City, both are a larger percentage beach houses than rooms/condos. Neither is as commercially developed as MB but there are plenty of restaurants, bars, etc. and the ever present tourist shops.

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
10,425 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

The weekends are always more crowded, all the time...and I would think Labor Day weekend is very crowded. Not only with tourists from far away, but locals who come to the beach for that last weekend of Summer. But...by Tuesday, I imagine a dramatic drop in the number of people on the beach.

I have neighbors that have rented a house down in Garden CIty ...they loved it.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

I love Surfside Beach. Because there are no large resorts the beaches aren't as crowded. The beaches are kept clean & raked every morning (when we've been there). But if you like the large resort type water amenities there is not much to choose from. Most of the o/f complexes have a basic pool area. That works fine for us.

It's still just a short drive to MB & Broadway at the Beach, etc. for those who want to be on the go everyday.

Edited: 9:59 am, January 27, 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

I also love Surfside. For those who love constant chaos (some do), Myrtle Beach is great. But if you want less congestion, less noise, less traffic, and easier parking, Surfside is the place to go. There are a couple of hotels on the ocean, a couple off the ocean, and many condo complexes. We like Golf Colony Resort, simply because it is much less expensive. The grounds are nice, the pools are new, and it's relatively quiet. The pools are right outside the door of all the units (each colony of buildings has its own pool). It is also convenient to both 17 Bus and 17 Bypass. Surfside, in general, is near to Myrtle Beach, as well as Garden City and Murrell's Inlet (awesome seafood!). Wherever you stay, have a great time!

Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

We are going that same time. Last year was our first trip to MB and we stayed at Sandy Beach Resort. We loved the location. It was close to the boardwalk and 2nd Ave Pier but we have nothing else to compare it to. In my opinion it wasn't crowded at all and the weather was perfect. This year we are staying at Dunes Village Resort.

7. Re: Labor Day in Myrtle Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Myrtle Beach