We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Much harder than expected! Summer help please :)

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Much harder than expected! Summer help please :)

Traveling from Charleston up to MB with my four sons end of June for a week. Ages: 4,7,10,13. We really rarely go up to Myrtle so I'm surprised at the number of family resorts. I've found the right size room w/ a kitchen for around 1100-1400 for a week at Breakers, Caravelle, Captains Quarters and Grand Atlantic Ocean....

My sons are all about the pools and lazy river...

Any of these that stand out as a definite YES or NO to any of you more senior members...

Is there anywhere I'm maybe skipping over that someone really just loves...??

Thanks for help! Tripadvisor forums led me to the perfect vacation in St Thomas, so this is the place to go for advice!

georgia
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Much harder than expected! Summer help please :)

The beach will be essentially the same almost all over MB. It depends on what you are expecting as to general age of crowds, more in the "club" atmosphere, more family friendly for the younger ones, closer to the boardwalk/arcade area. Posting your likes and dislikes will most likely get you more responses.

York, South Carolina
Level Contributor
1 post
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Much harder than expected! Summer help please :)

Without knowing your specific likes and dislikes I would recommend Caravelle over the others primarily because of location. The others are all in the heavily commercialized area of Myrtle Beach (unless that is what you want.) Caravelle is on the north side of Myrtle Beach which is far less commercial. Beach is as good if not better and less crowded. Plenty of area restaurants and things to do. Many of the attractions you might want to see would require a short drive whether you stayed at either end of Myrtle Beach.

Edited: 7:27 pm, January 24, 2013
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Much harder than expected! Summer help please :)

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm not so much as interested in what's around the resorts etc but moreso which resort has the best overal amenities....better pools, rooms, easy walk from building to beach....its so hard sometimes to tell from photos. I do see a lot of people on here like caravelle...

Morgantown, West...
Destination Expert
for Morgantown
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Much harder than expected! Summer help please :)

Caravelle is an excellent property in a great location. However, their pools may be a little too boring for the 10 and 13 year old. Other properties right next door have much better pool areas. Our favorite is Monterey Bay Suites, but Long Bay has great pool areas. Here are some quick links:

http://www.montereybaysuites.com

http://www.longbayresort.com/

www.oceanreefmyrtlebeach.com

http://www.sandsresorts.com/

The Sand Dunes has an on-site waterpark. All of these are around the Caravelle. Monterey Bay Suites is an all-suite resort that is very affordable with a free hot breakfast every day. We'll be returning to Monterey Bay in August for the 3rd year in a row.

Good luck, and enjoy your visit to Myrtle Beach!

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Much harder than expected! Summer help please :)

Thanks so much! I'll check into some of the ones you've mentioned!

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Much harder than expected! Summer help please :)

I am not a big fan of the southern end of MB the area is just not as nice as the area north of 21st, therefore I would eliminate Captains Qts & landmark.. Breakers is a good resort with very good water amenities both inside and out. Since you will be there the end of June you should know that it is in a more crowded area. Take a look at the Caribbean which is the last hirise on the strip and is in a less crowded are and it has the best water amenities on the strip. I really like the area around the Caravelle, Long Bay, etc

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,975 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Much harder than expected! Summer help please :)

I like the location of the Caravelle too. What kind of room are you looking at? Those are pretty great rates for that time of year..and for a room with beds to accomodate your crew. Might want to double check that...and add tax too.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Much harder than expected! Summer help please :)

Agree with all recommendations. Breakers or Caribbean if you want to be centrally located. Both have extensive water amenities.

The north end is quieter and more residential, yet not as convenient to attractions. Nice area. Long Bay and Ocean Reef both have a good selection of water, but not compared to the first two.

I think your kids are too old for the indoor water parks at Dunes Village, and I'm not sure I can recommend the Sands other than their outdoor park.

One that is not yet on your radar is Compass Cove. It has the most water amenities of any resort in MB, and two tube slides. Two restaurants + outdoor tiki bar, health club, etc. Grounds are well manicured. Wide array of room types in three buildings (the resort is two blocks long).

Unlike the other suggestions, it's in the deep south end. The thousands of visitors who stay there evidently don't agree that this is an undesireable area. In fact, the hotel that consistently ranks #1 in all of MB (Hampton Inn & Suites) is nearby. CC almost always ranks in the top 10 or 20.

We've stayed there often & like that we can walk to restaurants, and it's convenient to Murrells Inlet (which we love). And it's closer to the downtown amusements than the north end.

There may be better resorts and better areas, but if water amenities are your main criteria, this place belongs near the top of your list.

www.compasscove.com

Edited: 9:03 am, January 26, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Much harder than expected! Summer help please :)

I agree with everything daddio said.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Much harder than expected! Summer help please :)

Hi all! Thanks for all the input! I looked up all the suggestions and ended up going with Caribbean for the June trip!! I did check out Compass Cove and I've stayed there before myself for a long weekend, and may go back there for another long weekend in February. I appreciate all the suggestions and the time you all took to respond!

-April